gear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
  1. A

Choosing a compass....

Hi everyone, Have been doing some reading on navigation and looking to get some practice in, hence I am currently looking to purchase a compass. I was going to get a Silva Expedition 4 as they are highly recommended but it would appear that place of manufactor is no longer in Sweden and some...
  2. A

British Military Bivvy vs Snugpak Special Forces

Hi all, first post here so feel free to let me know if i'm doing anything wrong :) Currently looking to get a bivvy bag as I am looking to do part of the Welsh Costal Path soon and would like to travel without a tent to experience something new and keep the weight down. My options include...
  3. I

Rate my overnight gear

Hello, This is my first time posting here. I’m an Irish expat in New York and am active on the BushcraftUSA forum too. I’m trying to get a sense of what to bring out for an overnight as spring approaches. Where I am in New York, temperatures are usually in the high 30s to low 50s in Winter into...
  4. J

Any thoughts on this axe from mil-tec?

Hi there I recently bought this axe from mil-tec and so far have been ok with its performance but somewhat disappointed with the cover and the handle. I cant find any reviews anywhere and so I was wondering if I might've accidentally bought a shitty product (in terms of long-term durability...
  5. L

What gear would you take with you thread and why.

Hi all, I did a quick search to see if there was any threads like this but did not find any. I'll start off as this, My ruck sack is an amazon basics rucksack i think it is 65 litres and i plan to attach two 20 litre dry bags one on each side since i can attach the dry bags on this rucksack...
  6. RAPPLEBY2000

2 Handy books for making your own outdoor equipment

Hi Guys, I just read John Fennas post on his amazing shirt, which reminded me of 2 books I own (sorry I'm not selling) that might help some of you guys interested in learning how to design and make clothing. Both books are perfect for such projects though David Plattens is far better in my...
  7. Le Loup

My Equipment List.

Equipment List. · .62 cal/20 gauge flintlock fusil. 42 inch barrel. · .70 caliber smoothbore flintlock pistol. · Shot pouch and contents. · Leather drawstring pouch of .60 caliber ball (in knapsack). · Powder horn. · Butcher/Hunting knife. · Legging knife. ·...
  8. T

heads up sorel thermoplus innerboots only one pound £!

Heads up to folk in the north west uk the Columbia store at the Cheshire oaks outlet village/centre are having a closing down sale. looks genuine as stock is quite depleted but they are selling off kit with big discounts as this store is in an outlet village so already does discounted end of...
  9. theoctagon

First Look - Mountain Equipment Xero MM Sleeping Bag

For a while now I've been on the look out for a new lightweight sleeping bag for summer use. I really liked the look of the Rab top bag but these seem to be quite hard to come by and still command a premium second hand, the other bag I had my eye on was the PHD Minimus which I'd pretty much...
  10. ExHelot

Condor Bushlore Knife

Purchased through Amazon for $30.35 (USD) with free shipping. The pattern seems to be ubiquitous in ‘bush-craft’ knives made by other companies. I purchased this knife to replace a Helle ‘Symphoni’ which was a pretty darn good woods knife, but just not thick enough for my taste. My wife had been...
  11. Köld

Modan, IS manufacturer of backpacks / rucksacks

I would be interested in any information about the Israeli brand Modan that used to make real Bergen-style/expedition backpacks in I guess the 90's. There are a handful of reviews on trailspace on a number of models of theirs written more than ten years ago, and the only other review I know of...
  12. E

Tent help!

i'm looking for a lightweight 2 person tent that can stand up to the very worst that the welsh mountains can throw at it. it needs to be spacious enough for 2 tall teenagers with kit and yet be light enough to be carried over the mountains. anyone got any suggestions or experience with something...
  13. D

No matter what i do i cant seem to cut down pack weight :(

I know tthat there have been a lot of "what should I take" and "what kit to carry" threads on here, and I've honestly read them. However, it seems that no matter what i do, no matter what i leave home, My pack weight is far too heavy to be comfortable. To answer the first thing that most of...
  14. P

Winter/Snow Camo

Alright Guys, i know its very late to be talking about this because in Sunny GB its the summer. But i'm wanting to know if you guys have came across any good parkas/trousers suitable for winter wear preferably a winter snow pattern on it or just plain white. Ive saw the German Snow over suit...
  15. L

Long distance biking (bicycle)

Hello everyone, Since I like biking a lot as a cheap, healthy, sporty, environmentally friendly way of transportation and I have a girlfriend living about 400 km away, I'd like to get some gear to make travelling long distances a bit easier than with my mountain bike... Either by...