Birch bark containers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Been having a play at making various types of these again. Getting decent bark from the trees I've been felling this year during thinning works has been quite difficult for thickness, knots or large lenticels but I managed to knock these up for now.

100_3556.jpg

More pics here http://woodsmancrafts.blogspot.com/2011/11/bark-containers.html

Addo :)

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Charming, inspiring & beautifully made Addo.

I have tried to harvest birch bark in blighty & I know how tricky it is to get a decent sized bit to work with, hats off to you sir.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
really nice work there mate, i really must get round to having a go at one of these at some point

stuart

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks a lot for the comments, glad you like them.
Hoping to make a few matchboxes and spoons for stocking fillers. What with the recent shoe repair, I'm beginning to feel like an Elf.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Lovely job mate, wish i could find some birch bark thick enough to use down here

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Lovely work Paul! I've bee lucky enough to find a good supply local to me, Try to find the the trees that sit in frost longer than most, low lying spots, we have an old sports pitch that is the first to get frost and last to thaw, the trees around the edge have a decent bark thickbesses(thickness's:nutkick:)

Last edited:

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Lovely work Paul! I've bee lucky enough to find a good supply local to me, Try to find the the trees that sit in frost longer than most, low lying spots, we have an old sports pitch that is the first to get frost and last to thaw, the trees around the edge have a decent bark thickbesses.

I think I might know a spot just like that, I'll go and have a look tomorrow. Cheers.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi addo,nice Birch boxes there mate. I have still yet to play around with that type of fastening,like the one on the left. I always thought it looked very fiddley,and easy to get wrong.
I will give it ago some day though.

Cheers Again
Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE