Beech Bowl & Spoons.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Finished these last week after letting them season for a few months..

The largest bowl I've yet made.

Beech_Bowl_Spoons_01.jpg

Beech_Bowl_Spoons_02.jpg

Beech_Bowl_Spoons_03.jpg

Beech_Bowl_Spoons_04.jpg

Thanks for looking.

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
I was recently given a few blanks of beech and am currently having a crack at my first kuska. All I can say is that I never anticipated just how hard a wood beech is - it is damn hard to carve.

so that said, you really have done an amazing job - really beautiful design too. Well done.

Alex

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Thankyou very much for the kind comments gentlemen.

birdbrain57 - I used an adze (Svante Djarv) to remove the bulk of material on the inside & a kent pattern hatchet for the outside. Then finished the inside with an inshave & a spoon knife. The outside was finished with a draw knife, push knife(Frosts) & a whittler.

yomperalex - It is pretty sturdy stuff indeed. This started out as a freshly cut log split in half & worked green so as soft as possible I guess. If you have a drill or wide brace bit you could remove some material from the inside to make things easier on the wrists.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Lovely, hope i can emulate that when im eventually allowed to play with my new Karlsson adze (got to wait until Christmas - no fair :()

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
Thankyou very much for the kind comments gentlemen.

birdbrain57 - I used an adze (Svante Djarv) to remove the bulk of material on the inside & a kent pattern hatchet for the outside. Then finished the inside with an inshave & a spoon knife. The outside was finished with a draw knife, push knife(Frosts) & a whittler.

yomperalex - It is pretty sturdy stuff indeed. This started out as a freshly cut log split in half & worked green so as soft as possible I guess. If you have a drill or wide brace bit you could remove some material from the inside to make things easier on the wrists.

I fully plan on doing a bit of drilling, anything to save on the blisters and endless sharpening - mine are pretty well seasoned.

Alex

JJJ

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2008
cumbria
Definitely a master craftsman at work. Lots of added finesse in the detail and I also love the way they are a threesome.You have made me wonder why produce a bowl without it's family member's.
Personally I find green Beech a joy to carve.
The whiter the wood the easier it is to carve and funnily enough, the easier it it to produce a dark finish just by letting it dry before applying a finish.
I find that drilling out a wood like this is not quicker than carving with sharp tools. If you carve it from the start you follow through with smooth movements. If you drill first, you have to repeatedly over come the resistance of stop cuts. The exception would be very large items.

Cheers Hedgehog, very nice work. The photos are great too!

dancan

Nomad
Sep 29, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
There have been plenty of real nice spoons and such posted on the site (Keep the pics coming!) and hard to rate them but these pics are definitely up there with the best of them !

Last edited:

stekker

Forager
Aug 21, 2009
holland
Very impressive job.
They are looking great!
Did you boil them in salt water for preventing cracks?

Greetings Theo.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Top work chap. Cant wait to get my new adze and get making bowls.
Hope they turn out as nice as yours, and the colour they have turned out has inspired me to save some beech for carving next time I'm in one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE