Paddel from a pallet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

birdbrain57

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2010
sunderland
Now that i have got the hang of posting pictures i just want to show you a canoe paddle i made a couple of weeks ago its made from an old pallet i got out of a skip.The boards was 59 inches long by 5 inches wide and 1 inch thick,there were a few nail holes at the bottom so i filled them with epoxy then burned a picture over the top to diguise them.It weighs in at 2kg is this to heavy to use or have i wasted 3 hours of my time.
SN850703.jpg
SN850704.jpg
SN850702.jpg
SN850701.jpg

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
3 hours! I'm impressed. I guess the only thing is to get in the boat and try it out. The grip end looks like it might prove to be a bit uncomfortable to me. If it's a good one, it will become a favourite with a story attached; if it snaps it will become... firewood!

Z

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That is very cool, 2kg does sound a bit on the heavy side but I've never weighed any of mine so it might be spot on.

Agree with Zingmo about the handle, just round it off a bit more and taper it in a touch more where it meets the shaft. Some strokes require you to rotate the handle in your palm and that would soon get sore with those sharp edges.

Great work though mate it has to be said

goodjob

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
You've made a lovely job of that! 2kg is pretty heavy though, still, it'll save you some time at the gym! :) I've a paddle which I regard as being on the heavy side and I've just weighed that and it comes in at 1.1kg. It came with a sailing dinghy I have though, so it is intended to move a much bigger weight than a canoe. To give some idea of canoe paddles, my favourite paddle, an otter tail in walnut weighs 0.7kg. Don't get down-hearted about the weight though, you've a thing of beauty there and that 0.7kg is really at the lighter end of the scale and intended for use in deep water paddling and well away from rocks.

You clearly get better quality pallets up your way!

I'd rub the sharp corners on the upper grip with some sandpaper to remove the pointy bits too.

Al

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Was going to say 2kg sounded too heavy for a piece of pine! Looks a real beauty, if it doesn't work mount it on a wall in the den! Can't see why it wouldn't work though, thanks for sharing...

OliveDrabnotDPM

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 11, 2007
North Yorkshire
BB57 that's seriously good! I agree, you must get a better class of pallet up there! Maybe I should stop by on my way North next time ...... Any top tips on where and what to look for? I'd like to give making a paddle another go and now that I have lots of time (made redundant) but not much money (ditto) a pallet would be an ideal resource.
Duncan

birdbrain57

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2010
sunderland
No tips really it was just the size that that got me.Was going to use it for shelves then put the sander over it and discovered the lovely grain pattern.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
it `looks` like a tropical hardwood but not sure on type ??? Plywood sheet manufactures from malaysia etc use the same hard wood to make the pallets at the mill for export !!

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
many years ago (Ok back in 2003) when I drove a fork truck, we use to get all kind of pallets, from Pine and compressed paper to chinese teak and chinese Mahogany. the good stuff was pinched, but you had to be carefull as lots of the wood was soaking in some nasty chemicals to make them fire Resistant

JJJ

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2008
cumbria
That would certainly look fantastic mounted on the wall above my fire place. Each to their own but it doesn't look uncomfortable to paddle with to me. As to the weight, it also looks like a dense non native wood to me. It made me think though. How to reduce the weight of such a finely ornate paddle. How about cutting out shapes from the blade. I seem to remember ( decades ago ! ) seeing Polynesian paddles with holes in, stones mounted and intricate carving of very dense, and therefore heavy woods.
Thanks for posting Birdbrain57. I have just made a new workshop out of pallets due west of you. Got one left and you have got me thinking. In this case it might be getting a case of getting a paddle before my first canoe in decades. Yep it's about time!
Cheers John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE