bannock my way

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great way to spend a day John. You've inspired me to take out my small cast iron pan (also a charity shop special at £2) for knocking up some grub next time.
Hope you and Rich sort ya probs out soon.

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Hey John, I just love your comment about Tesco! My employer has the pleasure of dealing with them and they are absolute swines to do business with. Luckily for me, I work in a different area.

Great pics and pleased you have supplied us with an alternative bannock mix. Hope the medical problems get sorted quickly for you too.

Regards, Jon.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My only thought is that despite half the flour being self-raising and the fairly large quantity of added baking powder is that the bannock doesn't appear to have risen much. What was the texture like once it was cooked?
Light and fluffy:)
I knock it fairly flat to get it to cook faster :)

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Superb ! as ever John , Andy Bruce and i camped at his wood on Dartmoor , night before last , and filled the bread with sweet chestnuts , plenty there, and it was the best i have ever tasted ! but will be trying your take this weekend , thanks.

Ivan...

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Thought I'd add my favourite shot of Bannock. I love the stuff and made this one before breaking camp...

Cooking%252520Bannock.JPG

A

andyBruce

That looks great!
I made a sweet chestnut bannock the day before yesterday.

Rough measurements of a granary flour, white flour, baking powder, salt, ember roasted sweet chestnuts, and milk.

Cooked on a bannock board for a couple of hours! I would post pics but I have no idea how to! :)

Andy

A

andyBruce

Just realised that Ivan's already mentioned mine!

Thanks Ivan! :)

Andy

JJJ

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2008
cumbria
That bannock looks great ...never tried it with suet, I will thanks. I like spicy Bakestones, or Welshcakes on a cold day cooked over the fire on a bakestone with a huge mug of Tea. Sorry to here about your health. Might be worth your GP contacting The London School Of Tropical Medecine. I once lived off an intermitant water supply for 6 month trips. like everyone else we stored water in anything we could find including a bath. We had no power so thought, rather than exhust precious fuel boiling the water we often just added iodone. I lost 3 1/2 stone in 3 months but put it down to getting no where near the daily calories needed in the cold. On return to London once My GP sent me to the school as we thought I had a water bourne infection. Turned out the water company knowing that folk were storing water for long periods had added a tons of iodene themselves.The large amount of iodene caused thyroid and added to my weight loss Funnily enough, that was the last time I ate powdered egg. The locals called them Trumen eggs after the Berlin Airlift.
Good luck I hope they sort you out

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE