Finally one for me

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Thanks for all the positive comments gentlemen! Woodlore clones always seem to be a crowd pleaser...

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Very nice Chad, can't wait to see it in the flesh (so to speak)(and definatley not my flesh). May not make Northwood this month as we're off in the camper van for a few days.
See you soon anyway.

Cheers Bodge, I'll have it next time you can make it. I decided I wouldn't sell this or give it away like every other time I made myself a knife. Unless somebody's pockets are deep enough that is, money talks :rolleyes: Have a good one in the V Dub!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
>>> I decided I wouldn't sell this or give it away like <<<

Kind of reminds me of something ...

Hang on ...

It's a movie thing ...

I think I've got it ...

Full Metal Jacket i DOnofrioVincent.jpg

This is my knife. There are many like it but this one is mine. My knife is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my knife is useless. Without my knife I am useless

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Kind of reminds me of something ...

Hang on ...

It's a movie thing ...

I think I've got it ...

Full%20Metal%20Jacket%20i%20DOnofrioVincent.jpg

What is your major malfunction Private Pyle? ;)

Hey chad, thanks for the info, ill take you up on the offer of the piccys if thats ok? cheers :D

I'll post a pic or two of the knife being done tonight when I get them off my phone Cowboy. I'll post them here so people can see how simple it is to do...

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Now then now then...

Photo0161.jpg

As you can see I put alligator clips on wire and run them off the battery. I put the positive on the bare steel of the blade. The little plastic lid has salt water in it, I dipped a little piece of cotton wool in the salt water and gave it a squeeze so it isn't running off onto the metal. Cotton wool goes onto the negative clip and dabs the etch.

For the etch you can just about make out some purple nail varnish(metallic!:27:) on the steel. I put a thin coat on bigger than the etch to avoid corroding steel that shouldn't be etched. The wet cotton wool is then gently dabbed on the etched piece until it turns nice and dark. You can hear it sizzle and it won't take long. If you kept at it you achieve a deeper etch but it really doesn't take much. I used to go to town but realised some time ago there's no need to.

Photo0162.jpg

You can see here it's just a very speedy process to rust the steel. The cotton wool discolours and the etch itself turns a dark rusty colour. Once I clean it off with surgical spirit or nail varnish remover it just looks dark not rusty.

The buffalo was done with a sharp needle and a steady hand but was the first try and took about 30 seconds. Basically I just got lucky. If I didn't it would be back to bare steel and another layer of dried varnish and begin again. For my maker's mark which is just initials I tend to use a blunt needle or even a ballpoint pen for fatter lettering. You don't need to scratch the steel, just the layer of varnish protecting it.

I hope this helps someone, it's easy to do and the battery and clips cost me about £5 in total. Nail varnish twocked from my wife as she didn't like that one and a bit of salt and cotton wool. Happy days eh! ;)

Last edited:

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Theres some work gone into that knife fella, well done and the etching sounds like something to have a go at too.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
only just noticed this bud, we have some chatting to do at the meet mate, as i can see all the blades i have made can now have me name put on them lol.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Sounds good Lee. Let me know when you're at a meet next, I can bring the stuff along, it really is that easy! You can at least try it out on some scrap steel to get a feel for it then spend some time on your knives at home.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Ohhh, MOST interesting tip about the nail polish... no need to buy the 'press n peel' then :) I presume that you could use most cellulose paints, do the whole blade and create an all-over etch? I might use that as an excuse to keep the bevels titchy and the work down as I'm a lazy mare ;)

It's a gorgeous piece, I'm so lucky to have you as my knifey mentor. To be taught by someone who has combines engineering affinity, an artistic eye and an ability to communicate ideas is a rare and much appreciated happening! BIG respect to you, Chad
:You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE