Wheres the best place to get army surplus kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Thanks again mate, have been looking for cheap bergens for a while and havent found any that cheap, add on the side pouches and its still a bargain and I should be able to fit everything in there! Whether I can then get it on my back is another matter!

Better find out if you want a long or short back before parting with your pennies:)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
the short back isnt designed for short people, its to wear over webbing, if your not wearing webbing you should use the long back, the adjustment for height is in the shoulder straps, if you get a shortback, unless your 5' you will probably be uncomfortable as the weight will either be across your shoulders or in the small of your back not spread between the two.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
the short back isnt designed for short people, its to wear over webbing, if your not wearing webbing you should use the long back, the adjustment for height is in the shoulder straps, if you get a shortback, unless your 5' you will probably be uncomfortable as the weight will either be across your shoulders or in the small of your back not spread between the two.

I understand now, thanks for that. How can you tell the difference as most places Ive seen them advertise as just being issue bergens?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Here you go matey, lift the lid and look underneath,

315050_10150425588579073_539479072_10327899_492213045_n.jpg

if the website doesnt specify, ring and ask!:)

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
The sewn label isn't always present in used bags.......a quick way of telling which is which is by looking at the two vertical molle strips which run up the front of the bergen. On the long back, these strips are very close to the front pouch, while on the short back, they are several inches away/apart from the pouch.
There are several other ways of telling them apart including the length of the internal alu frame. If your supplier is unsure, ask them to measure the removable vertical frame bars for you...53cm = long back.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
The sewn label isn't always present in used bags.......a quick way of telling which is which is by looking at the two vertical molle strips which run up the front of the bergen. On the long back, these strips are very close to the front pouch, while on the short back, they are several inches away/apart from the pouch.
There are several other ways of telling them apart including the length of the internal alu frame. If your supplier is unsure, ask them to measure the removable vertical frame bars for you...53cm = long back.

Thanks for the advice, will make sure I get the long back.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Endicots, ordered some gear from them yesterday, got in from working today and it's all here safe and sound, superb service

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE