identifying mushrooms

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crwydryny

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2008
south wales
does anyone know of any good online sources for identifying mushrooms and other fungi prefrably one's that note if the fungi is toxic or edible?
I have a few field guides but they rarely contain enough infomation to identify them 100% as I tend to be a bit cautious when it comes to such things but lately I've been becoming more intrested in identifying mushrooms as my current job involves a lot of time in the woods and I'm begining to realise my lack of knowledge in this area (I've avoided mushrooms for years due to the risks involved)

and before anyone says it I'm not going to go eat whatever I find unless I'm 100% sure and even then I'd probably think twice... I got a few annoying voulenteers working with me for that lol

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Hello

The best thing to do in my mind is to get yourself on a foraging course, there are loads of stuff like that in all areas of the country at this time of year by all different groups (not just bushcraft folk) . They don't cost much for a day out with someone who knows what they are doing and its this experience that you will never be able to get from the internet or a guide book.

Guide books and internet sources are there to back you up once you know what you are doing

Also having someone who knows what they are doing help identify mushrooms for you will help give you confidence to eat the mushrooms you pick. The first time you actually eat wild mushrooms that you have picked can be a nervous time , it really helps to have someone who knows back your identification up

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
what salad said.

you really don't want to be taking any chances with funghi, they're bloody dangerous, it only needs one little mistake and you're in a whole world of...........erm..........trouble.

that said, the river cottage handbook was the one that finally gave me the confidence to eat some of the funghi that i find, it's the one resource that i'd recommend without hesitation.

happy hunting

stuart

crwydryny

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2008
south wales
I know not to take any risks with fungi I have enough experience with bushcraft and the likes to know where to draw the line but it's one area I've never explored simply because I know how dangerous they are. I'm mostly intrested in just trying to identify them just for the sake of identifying them

as for courses and the likes, right now I don't have either the time (I work for a local conservation charity and teach a martial arts class so I'm working 13 hour days through the week most of the time) or money (I currently have about £25 for the next 2 weeks and £18 of that is for insurance for training) also lack of transport limits the places I can travel to for courses and such otherwise I would

thanks for the link slowworm I'll check it out.

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Another thumbs up fot the river cottage book. It's simple, has a key and it's fun to read. If you can't find the fungus your trying to id in that book - just leave it. Defo a good idea to go out with others though. I've studied hard for 4 years now and it's only the last 2 seasons I've been eating what I've found - even then, last year it was only one or 2 species.
It's well worth the effort though mate - good luck

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
The Peglar book is superb - a mixture of pictures and highly detailed drawings designed to draw out the key features, and each edible fungus has look-alikes shown on the opposite pages so you learn the differences. However, going on a course or two is the only sure way.

crwydryny

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2008
south wales
thanks for the links I'll check them out later, I'll have to see if my local book store has any of the books mentioned. unfortunatly the only one near me is a 2nd hand book store so it's basically the luck of the dice if they have any.
but as I said earlier it's mostly out of curiosity rather than for eating

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE