superglue

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
I wouldn't use it on any wound that would require stitching, but I have used it on "dry cracks" on my feet - these can be quite sore and uncomfortable, but by glueing them it stops the movement and stops the pain - been a godsend on some of my longer hikes!!!! :D

Tetley

Apr 21, 2008
Bremetannacum Vetenorum
I've glued minor cuts on myself, but a large one would be washed, patched and off to proper help...

I've glued myself to multiple casualties and recommend proper triage and use of a real doctor , seeing as my first aid kit consists of a field dressing (for personal use) and a folding shovel (to dispose of any casualties I come across) this advice should really be ignored ;)

cheers for the sprouts Spikey !

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Ive never used superglue on a cut, but I keep a bottle of Germoline New Skin in my FAK along with a bottle of wound wash.

This stuff burns like hell for 20 seconds when you put it on a cut, but after that it stops hurting.

I have used it on:-
Paper cuts, grazes, torn quicks, by the nail beds, heel blisters, heat blisters, briar cuts...

I always wash cuts first, then coat it and try not to scream.

Up side is the cuts are imobilised and heal extremely fast and stop nagging at you as soon as it dries - 20 secs or so..

Never had an infection after using it. Touching wood, lol.

Only once have I had a problem with it. My biggest passed me a pair of secoteurs, blades first, and they penetrated through the skin between my thmb and forefinger. I could see the muscles moving in the hole. I washed it out and glued it back together. It healed in days, but the lump of new skin took a few months to grow out.

clive.s

Aug 8, 2010
Hampshire
I've been using superglue for 10 years.
For cracked heels, after a good rasping.
For small cuts on very mobile areas that keep opening up.
On my cat's fight wounds.
It's manna from heaven for things like that!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I wouldn't use it on any wound that would require stitching, but I have used it on "dry cracks" on my feet - these can be quite sore and uncomfortable, but by glueing them it stops the movement and stops the pain - been a godsend on some of my longer hikes!!!! :D

Do you know what is causing the 'dry cracks' on your feet?

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I tried the superglue trick once on my finger it got infected and two days later i had to burst it open to let the **** out The 5 minuets looking at it first was by far the worst bit .

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Don't know what causes cracked heels but they're advertising stuff for it on TV right now. Seems some kind of moisturising stuff fills the cracks in a bit.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
I tried the superglue trick once on my finger it got infected and two days later i had to burst it open to let the **** out The 5 minuets looking at it first was by far the worst bit .

I would personally say that was you not cleaning the wound properly as opposed to the superglue being at fault. Just my ignorant opinion though.. :p

Lumber Jack

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2011
I'm from Yorkshire, lad.
You are looking for "OCA" (Octyl cyanoacrylate) That's the glue used in medical adhesives. However, Regular "super glue"(e-2-cyanoacrylate) is 100% fine for cuts, abrasions, keens ect. It wont cause infections in the wound and if done properly, will do a better job than sutures.

You hear a lot of horror stories about wounds becoming infected after using super glue or another brand of it. It's nothing to do with the cyno', it's simple first aid being overlooked unfortunately. The wound must be cleaned with a sterile substance such as saline ect. Once that has done and you're sure it's clean, drop some cyno' on and you'll be fine. It won't even sting when you apply it.;)

Lumber Jack.

Lumber Jack

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2011
I'm from Yorkshire, lad.
Ps just to add.

Superglue Is sterile. Even the stuff you buy from your local DIY store to stick the broken picture frame together. It contains toluene, you know, the stuff >ejuts< get high off. Bacteria can't grow nor reproduce in it.

If you want a glue for wounds. But you are unsure about the useage of superglue (it does have a time and a place). Use something called "Dermabond."

LJ

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
After reading the thread I decided to purchase a couple of tubes not as cheap as regular super glue in fact £12 a tube, but I can see the benefits over sutures.

Lumber Jack

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2011
I'm from Yorkshire, lad.
Good luck with a) obtaining the prescription and b) affording Dermabond:

Dermabond on Google Shopping by way of an example

I repeat:

That's came down in price, Last time I had some it cost me £32 and so many pence. The point is. You can use super glue if you want. It won't cause you any harm and is a sterile substance.:rolleyes:

I've used it for 20 + years on everything from keens to knife cuts. And the wounds have all healed perfectly well. I do believe super glue contains a lot of the compounds found in cigarette smoke or tobacco too:)

"what wounds are left? Not many."

Wounds that aren't on the face, over a flex point, which have been sanitized and the blood flow has been stemmed...That's a huge amount of injuries...:rolleyes:

LJ.

Last edited:

Lumber Jack

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2011
I'm from Yorkshire, lad.
PS just to add experience.

7 years as a patrol medic, reaching Class 1 CMT Sgt. BATLS (Battlefield Advanced Trauma Life Support). We did indeed use run of the mill "super glue" as well. I'm sure the head shed wouldn't have liked it. But the chief medical officers in the field didn't give a badgers bum.

I don't find much use for any of the above as a game keeper. But it's there if ever I need it.:)

LJ.

MrJamieM

May 31, 2011
Bromsgrove (South Birmingham)
I had a pretty bad cut out in the woods a couple of months ago (my first and last) making the shelter in the photo. I was quite lucky to have just enough supply's with me.
After i had washed the cut with water and squeezed fluid from iodine and alcohol swabs into it i covered it with a cotton pad and wrapped it with zinc oxide tape to push the two sides of the cut together seeing as it was gaping a little.

DSC00529.JPG

But when i took the dressing off when i got home the next day putting on the same dressing would have been just excessive so super glue would have been prefect to stop me from pulling the wound back open by accident.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
"But when i took the dressing off when i got home the next day putting on the same dressing would have been just excessive so super glue would have been prefect to stop me from pulling the wound back open by accident."

If it was still bleeding badly the next day a trip to A&E would have been called for. Have you done a first aid course? Did you soak the dressing at home to stop opening the wound? Off the shelf superglue is not good for wounds, all the pros and cons have been gone through in the past here many times.

Your body, use what you like if you don't want to listen.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE