Poll - If you only had 1 axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i asked my Mrs for a GB SFA for ages and when i got it was a bit dissapointed, that was untill i really used it, and got used to the new blade shape, i now love it to bits, and come to think of it, i am in 2 mindes as to weather to ditch the knife and just take that on my 5 or less weekend....

for me GB SFA or the same shape for less money would be good ;)

( and yes i have used axes before, meany shapes and sizes )

regards...

chris.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Good points sir!
I have a few and they all have different goodpoints.
My 'fav' is my hand forged Dave Budd Trade type axe, but as yet it has only had a few run outs.
I like the head on the GB carving axe and have used that as a general purpose axe quite a bit, but if I had to reach for one right now and leave for a trip I would go with the larger of the two Roselli axes. Fantastic at processing fire wood and 'good enough' for take down.
My best.
Chris.

I had a large rosseli, & rather foolishly sold it to "follow the heard", & get an sfa, loved the roselli, hated the sfa. I then saw a photo of the cegga viking style, liked orderd it, know its here (had it a year now) i love it. Would'nt mind another rosselli though...

Rob

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
I'm going to throw a couple of others in to the mix (both Gransfors):

1) Swedish Carving axe. Just lovely, probably capable of limbing and felling, great splitter, wonderful carver.

2) If I wanted to carry something bigger, Socketed Bearded axe (pattern 511). Felling, limbing, splitting and just about wood shaping.

Cheers

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Last edited:

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
Just one axe eh? I use a GB Swedish carving axe for most green woodwork tasks and a GB Wildlife hatchet with red beech handle for spoon carving and I have a Kent pattern which i've reground as a side axe, but the one that goes into the woods with me is a GB SFA which work kindly provided. It generally gets used for snedding as it's much faster than loppers, also used it hedgelaying. Would like to try something a little beefier in the woods though and would try other brands out if cash was no object :)

If i had to keep just one it would be the GB Swedish carving axe, I agree with Ian S. just lovely to use, but i'm not sure how it would fare in the woods.

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
The Granfor Bruks Hand Hatchet!....a nice short handle for carving etc

This is one that I'd avoid. I've only had a quick shot of one, but I found the lack of handle a real nuisance. The handle is too short for any really meaningful chopping, and choking up to the head means that there's no counterbalance happening. I'd choose the Wildlife Hatchet over this any day.

Cheers

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Just 1 you say. I'd have to choose a full size (at least 2 1/2 pounds, preferably 3 pounds) with a 26-31 inch handle. I'd like something smaller for travel or camping but in the end general farm and logging chores would have to take precedence. My personal preference as to what style would be an ordinary logging/farm axe such as Plumb or Collins-Legitimus but as Xunil pointed out those are the only ones I've used (I must say that I've used them quite extensively however as I did grow up on a farm in a logging family) I really don't do any carving much less with an axe. Just don't see the point in it.

In the end though as long as the axe meets minimum requirements of strength, balance, size and such it really doesn't matter that much. An axe is just an axe; an axeman is the important factor.

Last edited:

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
If it has to be an axe, none of the above -- but I won't be doing with it what you want me to be doing with it so I suppose that's not fair of me. My favourite is a 41/2 lb felling axe, a bit (sorry) of an all-rounder although I wouldn't want to do much carving with it. :) I have a few others, mostly smaller, and I've used one or two of them for over 50 years, so I think I've figured out what I like by now. :)

If I go smaller I really prefer a parang. I also like something that can serve as a hammer as well, which you don't get with most axes.

seraphim

Dec 19, 2010
Ratae Corieltauvorum
The Mrs is buying it as it's a present, I'm leaning towards an SFA as I handled one and it seemed very compact and well balanced but just large enough to use two handed on those occasions where I'd need, as far as compromises go, it seems a nice one!

Now, are all GB's equal? Are GB's with some makers initials 'better' than others'? or are they all good? :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE