A tiny hatchet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Thanks Andy, but Vaughan changed a lot of things in the manufacturing process including the raw materials which is why Bark River stopped using them to modify.

This looks like it pre- dates that shift and, if so, that's what makes it appealing

Worth a punt :D

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Hadn't seen the axminister site before - this hand axe also looks interesting
202311_l.jpg

http://www.axminster.co.uk/ice-bear-japanese-hand-axe-prod480147/

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
could you ask how much it would be to post all three if shewie wants one i will have the last, as long as the postage isnt ridiculous. then it would be less postage per person because we can split it 3 ways.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
I only bought the one - honest.

I asked about combined shipping and there were still 2 left, but I got no reply, probably because the other 2 went.

Will let you know what it's like when it arrives - I might try to track down some old stock :D

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
They were reprofiled for the Bark River axe and Old Jimbo did a great article on reprofiling one http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/tinyhatchets.html
I'd read that they stopped making them the same way about 4-5 years ago and they were just falling apart when being reground so people kind of lost interest in them. I'd be interested to know if the quality has improved once again.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
UPDATE:

I almost forgot about this one - but it's worth showing how things panned out.

Left to right, Gransfors Mini, Moore Maker Sub Zero, my Damascus pocket rocket :rolleyes: and a part-modified Cold Steel Trail Hawk:

sub-zero-1.jpg

Here are the three little 'uns together for scale:

sub-zero-2.jpg

A potentially interesting profile on the little sub zero axe (centre):

sub-zero-3.jpg

... which is spoiled by the head being well out of alignment:

sub-zero-4.jpg

sub-zero-5.jpg

sub-zero-6.jpg

The edge was about as blunt as an axe can be - I could have run it over my hands without any fear of injury.

I'm in two minds whether I can be arsed with this one - I can make it into something useful, but the effort is likely to outweigh any benefit. It would be easier to make a complete axe from scratch that faff around with this one.

I'll think on it for a while and either give it away to one of my mates who will enjoy fettling it, or it can go to the back of the workshop and stay put for a year or three until I get to it.

Purchases like this are often a gamble. Most times you get what you expect, and sometimes you don't. I was expecting the edge to be more or less as bad as it was but I don't think I was prepared for the badly misaligned head.

Never mind - it wasn't an earth shattering amount of money and if I get the time to look at it I can make it into something worth using. Won't be in a hurry to use it in favour the the Gransfors Mini, and I certainly won't be climbing over the Damascus pocket rocket any time soon to get to the little Moore Maker axe...

;)

Ho hum.

Nothing ventured and all that...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE