A History of Celtic Britain BBC2 9:00 PM THURS

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Neil Oliver presnts new programme starting tonight.
A History of Celtic Britain BBC2 9:00 PM THURS
phil

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Didn't fancy being the poor sod stuck down a tiny winding tunnel bashing away with a rock and rib bone in the absolute pitch black.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I enjoyed it too, fascinating stuff.

The mine did indeed look terrifying.

How cool was the bronze sword recovered from the wreck?

And that file blew me away, I had no idea early iron age craftsmen could make stuff like that.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
I'm sure you can find it somewhere
45f7d4b5.gif

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Didn't fancy being the poor sod stuck down a tiny winding tunnel bashing away with a rock and rib bone in the absolute pitch black.

Something that occurred to me about that, looking at the size of the tunnels... You know how youngish lads tend to compete in showing off at risky activities? Makes 'em perfect candidates for this sort of thing: "Get down there, you big Jesse - Bob dug out half a ton yesterday."

I do wonder how many died down there though...

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I enjoyed it too, fascinating stuff.

And that file blew me away, I had no idea early iron age craftsmen could make stuff like that.

Me too.

As Neil said, you could put a handle on it and you'd have no idea it was getting on for 2500 years old. A brilliant example of a tool which was designed to perfection right from the off.

I wonder who the first Iron Age guy was who thought "You can cut that file up and make firesteels out of it!" :D

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I missed it, though I suppose I could watch it on BBC play again (or whatever they call it).
The only thing I have with the whole 'Celtic' thing is the name. The Celts wouldn't have recognised themselves as that (though that's fair enough - it's a modern term we use to describe a historical group of people - just a label), but all this talk of Celtic Europe, or even just Celtic Britain, insinuates an homogenised culture. And that just wasn't so. In fact the different 'Celtic' nations were so diverse that the term 'Celtic' is about as meaningful as 'druid'. But I suppose that gets too complicated for the man-on-the-street and so such programmes simply perpetuate aboriginal myths and fallacies. It'll be interesting to see if they address this.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I missed it, though I suppose I could watch it on BBC play again (or whatever they call it).
The only thing I have with the whole 'Celtic' thing is the name. The Celts wouldn't have recognised themselves as that (though that's fair enough - it's a modern term we use to describe a historical group of people - just a label), but all this talk of Celtic Europe, or even just Celtic Britain, insinuates an homogenised culture. And that just wasn't so. In fact the different 'Celtic' nations were so diverse that the term 'Celtic' is about as meaningful as 'druid'. But I suppose that gets too complicated for the man-on-the-street and so such programmes simply perpetuate aboriginal myths and fallacies. It'll be interesting to see if they address this.

Don't get us started on the "Celtosceptic" debate............

You're absolutely right though; as a catch all label it is too simplistic but I doubt if the series will go into that. There is a school of thought (with good empirical evidence) that suggests the "Celts" occupying Britain before the Romans originally moved up from Southwestern Portugal.

Qwerty

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Ireland
www.instagram.com

shhh man, you're ruining the ambiance ;)

You're spot on correct for course, but that's probably a program for BBC4...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE