Recommend tent for larger person?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I was just wandering what type of tent people would recommend for 1 person bushcrafting and possible motorcycle touring. It has to be big enough for a 6" person like myself but also small enough when packed away to be easy to carry on a motorcycle or backpack.

I already have a big 4 man tent which is great for me and the Mrs and lots of kit when on a campsite with the car but not very practical for bushcraft or on the bike.
I did think about hammock but you can’t always guarantee enough trees/space also being close to 19 stone I would worry it would snap/collapse in the night

Is it worth looking for a 1 man or 2 man tent and if so what?

Last edited:

Hun7er

Jun 14, 2009
Harrogate
My dad nicked mine for just going around europe on his bike, It was a pro action 1 man tent from argos i got years ago in green, i think they still have them
but its in some stupid orange now. Anyway its still a good price and a very good tent never leaked used in all weather conditons and has now travels to every europian country plus russia and morrco, mine cost me £20 and is big enough for me(6'4"). HTH

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I used an MSR Hubba Bubba (no chewing required)in the Outer Hebrides last year. It's a 2 man tent with 2 openings light and roomy. Not great with a side wind though.

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
marquee-tentcamping-tent-52.jpg

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Dunno about the Vango Junos being a play tent. I used the bigger 500 - admittedly the polycotton version - which only has 1500 weatherproofing compared to the Juno 2000 - in sub-zero and heavy rain with no problems at all. The angle of the tent help water run off, and I'd happily use a 300 on the Elefantentreffen if I had one.

For bullet-proof camping on the bike I used a Vango Force 10 Mk 5 for decades. Plenty of space - they say it'll hold 4 but they'd have to be very friendly! The smaller Mk 4 or even Mk 3 would also probably do - I just like the space!

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...1 person bushcrafting and possible motorcycle touring. It has to be big enough for a 6" person like myself but also small enough when packed away to be easy to carry on a motorcycle or backpack.

I have a tent that's a bit like this one: http://www.sasskit.co.uk/product.php?id=52 although I got mine from Yeomans and I think it was a bit cheaper. I don't know if they still do it, I haven't seen it on their website for a while. There's a picture of mine here: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57907, scroll down to the fifth photo in the first post on that page. I use it for camping with the bike but it might be a bit bulky for backpacking. Its main advantage as far as I'm concerned is that being a single pole style it has lots of length which is great of you're six foot or over. On the down side, it's a double skin tent but at least on mine (I don't know about the one on the SASS site) the inner isn't guyed at all and tends to drape towards the middle so it's a bit irritating. Mine has a door at each end which is a feature I like and use a lot.

...Is it worth looking for a 1 man or 2 man tent and if so what?

I would certainly never take smaller than a two man tent on the bike on my own, even on the Hayabusa. :)

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/dscf2153.jpg

That little blue tent cost me a fiver. Single skin. It's one of my favourites.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I've seen a vango vapour 100 force 10 on E-bay but from what I gather there only single skin which I would have thought is less weather proof or warmer than the traditional inner and outer tent?

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
At the minute i use an old Pro Action 2 man Monodome that's seen better days, I'm after a new one so i'll be keeping an eye on this thread for suggestions.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...only single skin which I would have thought is less weather proof or warmer than the traditional inner and outer tent?

Many inner tents are just a mesh. It's the outer that gives you all the waterproofing. Decent modern tent fabrics will keep out practically any amount of rain, although in strong winds rain can be blown in through vents so a waterproof inner is another line of defence and can be worth having if you're going to brave the extremes.

From the warmth point of view I wouldn't worry about whether it's single skin or not. It's your sleeping bag that keeps you warm.

The main issue as far as I'm concerned is condensation.

Single skin or not there will always be condensation, but with a single skin tent your kit will often touch the wet inside surface of the tent and soak up the water. The water will wick from all the other wet parts of the tent to the dry bit you just made with your sleeping bag and before long your sleeping bag will be saturated. With a double skin tent, as long as there's enough of a gap between the inner and outer then condensation won't reach your kit and things will stay a lot drier.

Having said that I do sweat a lot, even if I'm not exercising hard, and other people might not find it such an issue as I do. I go to some lengths to keep condensation at bay. I wipe it up using small flannels which I carry (in freezer bags) just for that purpose and I open up the tent as much as possible to air it in the day time when it isn't raining. I close the tent up well before dusk to avoid dew forming inside it.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
All is not lost found a company selling the highland Dura 2 (same tent) for £23.90 posted. Only problem is they only have blue/lime green in stock at present.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE