going feral

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
I really don't understand the open hostility in this thread? There is absolutely no need for all the patronizing criticism! The guy has set himself a challenge and good luck to him!

I think everyone wishes him good luck.

The main problem here is that there are no 'wilds' of Britain that aren't owned by someone, and so by definition if this undertaking goes ahead it will involve taking from someone, unless by some incredible stroke of good fortune a 'sponsor' agrees for his/her land to be used as the individual sees fit for the duration.

Scenario for you:

Someone saves hard to afford a deerstalking or salmon fishing trip to (insert suitable name of remote and scenic location) and, whether the hunt/fishing is successful or not they return feeling suitably rewarded.

Someone else goes the week after and all hell breaks loose when it is discovered that a guy has established a semi-permanent camp on the estate and is poaching the salmon/deer as a staple food source, burning timber from the forests for warmth, foraging and otherwise helping himself from the estate's resources.

England (read Great Britain, including the various surrounding islands) is only a 'green and pleasant land' due to agriculture, farming and forestry where enormous investment and effort is made to keep it that way.

Large game herds are carefully managed to preserve healthy populations, and the 'quintessentially English' pheasant is an introduced, non-native and bred for sport bird that generates much needed return for those estates that run shoots.

Yes, it would be nice if there was land available for folks to use freely. The bottom line is this: there isn't. As such, use of any land has to be done with permission and (often) fees.

Spin it any way you like, but helping yourself to the land's resources is the same as shop lifting from Sainsbury's shelves. There are penalties for both activities.

I own some land in the UK and more in Canada and I am constantly on the lookout for takers who are there to help themselves.

How can this person achieve the goal without falling foul of the law ?

Anyone with an interest in the outdoors can relate to the concept of going off the grid. The realities though, present a series of problems and most of them involve breaking various laws.

If someone wants to buy a small holding and live how they choose on their own patch the reaction would be very different.

This person wants to live how they choose on someone else's land and off someone else's resources, which is where the problems begin.

I think you might be mistaking simple logistical issues for hostility.

bearman

Jul 18, 2010
kent
Nice idea, and as many others have said-spending the summer outside can be fun but not as enjoyable in the winter. I think the only way to truly live of the and is to join some sort of commune, where they live in a sealed Marxist-like community. I just cant see how it's possible in the UK, you need some cash to get by. Good luck though!:D

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Xunil's said it all - agree completely. Nice idea but not possible in the UK today - go to Canada or just live (legally) on the countyrside fringe.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Youve got to remember also that in many countries, both industrial and developing, `Wild` land equals `National Park` land.

Best bet is to find an indigineous tribe...but you will be expected to work.

Unless, of course, they decide your a resource to sponge off of.

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
Move often, always seek permission, be well versed in right to roam, wild camping, access land etc. Learn how to distill essential oils from abundant sources for hygiene i.e. pine needle oil. Be passive, well mannered and careful in everything you do, work within the law re. hunting and camping and there shouldn't be any problems beyond the difficulty of what your doing.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Make use of fishing oppurtunities and eating things like insects. Also the massive abundence of seaweed can help you out if you stick to the coastline..infact the coast line will also give you lots of drift wood for fires and rock pools to catch crabs and mollusks. Theres a reason ancient Brits lived along the coast line! ( ;) lots of rats in the rock caves too!)

Remember..we can travel around Europe, maybe the grass is greener on the other side.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
It occurred to me recently that is actually is a decent chunk of land over in Eastern Europe that nobody's doing anything much with, where you could almost certainly get away with this sort of thing - it's known as the "The Zone of Alienation", or just "The Zone".

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
"The poaching of game, illegal logging, and metal salvage have been problems within the zone. Despite police control, intruders started infiltrating the perimeter to remove potentially contaminated materials, from televisions to toilet seats, especially in Prypiat, where the residents of about 30 high-rise apartment buildings had to leave all of their belongings behind. In 2007, the Ukrainian government adopted more severe criminal and administrative penalties for illegal activities in the alienation zone[9], as well as reinforced units assigned to these tasks."

yep. i would look forward to being interrogated by the soldiers that messed up so badly they got stuck patrolling the radioactive death zone,

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
England (read Great Britain, including the various surrounding islands) is only a 'green and pleasant land' due to agriculture, farming and forestry where enormous investment and effort is made to keep it that way.

Er, no!

It's actually a bit different up here. For 'England' read 'England'. I have met, on more than one occasion, people living a 'feral' lifestyle in Scotland. Some minor law breaking is required though, and they were mianly motivated by some previous major law breaking - but it can be done.

I don't think there is much in the way of major investment in Knoydart, Argyll or Sutherland.

Rob

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
"The poaching of game, illegal logging, and metal salvage have been problems within the zone. Despite police control, intruders started infiltrating the perimeter to remove potentially contaminated materials, from televisions to toilet seats, especially in Prypiat, where the residents of about 30 high-rise apartment buildings had to leave all of their belongings behind. In 2007, the Ukrainian government adopted more severe criminal and administrative penalties for illegal activities in the alienation zone[9], as well as reinforced units assigned to these tasks."

yep. i would look forward to being interrogated by the soldiers that messed up so badly they got stuck patrolling the radioactive death zone,

Hey, nobody said it was going to be easy... ;)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
It occurred to me recently that is actually is a decent chunk of land over in Eastern Europe that nobody's doing anything much with, where you could almost certainly get away with this sort of thing - it's known as the "The Zone of Alienation", or just "The Zone"....Hey, nobody said it was going to be easy... ;)

If you can find a 'Stalker' to guide you in then things will be a little easier.

:)

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have met, on more than one occasion, people living a 'feral' lifestyle in Scotland. Some minor law breaking is required though, and they were mianly motivated by some previous major law breaking - but it can be done.

Of course you are right. Thieves and serial criminals can "go feral" anywhere. As soon as you remove the rule of law, you can do anything you like.

I hope this forum has not descended into condoning criminality though.

Red

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
Of course you are right. Thieves and serial criminals can "go feral" anywhere. As soon as you remove the rule of law, you can do anything you like.

I hope this forum has not descended into condoning criminality though.

Red

you have quite the flair for the melodramatic!

anyway - i want updates from the OP. i hope he had the foresight to acquire an iphone with a years prepaid credit to allow regular updates. it would make for a compulsive thread.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE