Gilpin axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well I came across this recently.
0266301e-c42b-be49.jpg

0266301e-c452-b958.jpg

Gonna tidy it up a bit. I know bugger all about axes but a quick google came up with bits any other info?
It says 3lb gilpin whit....
Ta d

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
That'll tidy up nicely and make a good tool, made not too far away from you too.

I did a couple of posts on here a while ago about making and fitting a new axe handle which may be useful.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Useful article Robin.
Ive read B.R's on sharpening as well so will have a bit of a tidy up.
Why the straight handle Robin?
Dave

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Good find there Dave, i have had a couple of those in the past and they have cleaned up really well and are nice to use.Cheers.

Darren

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Useful article Robin.
Ive read B.R's on sharpening as well so will have a bit of a tidy up.
Why the straight handle Robin?
Dave

Striaght or curved handles are down to personal preference. I would suggest doing straight handles first, they work well. If you have a handle on another tool you liek then copy it.

These are the articles I meant and they have a curved handle.

making http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38767&highlight=axe+handle
fitting http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38842&highlight=axe+handle

L8starter

Forager
Mar 6, 2011
norwich, uk
wow, this is the same shape as my axe which has no markings on it, i was wondering what it was originally used for, have you come up with anything about it? ive just done a quick google but didnt find anything much except about it being a side axe but i dont know what that means? mine clearly has an edge on both sides or rather a rounded edge!!

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
wow, this is the same shape as my axe which has no markings on it, i was wondering what it was originally used for, have you come up with anything about it? ive just done a quick google but didnt find anything much except about it being a side axe but i dont know what that means? mine clearly has an edge on both sides or rather a rounded edge!!

Not found out alot prob no more than you with a google search.
D

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
c123842b-7189-7bda.jpg

Getting there slowly
c1238419-71b4-dbd7.jpg

Cutting back here it's a bit uneven but I've done as much as my skills allow as someone has sharpened it slightly uneven!
Worked through cheap diamond stones and now on the puck!
What size style for the helve /straight?It's a 3lb head.
D

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
An axe like that would only ever be used for big hewing, squaring large timbers etc. It's the equivalent of the GB broad axe. I'd put a straight handle about 25" long on and see how it felt and the balance, maybe cut a few inches off if it needed.

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Superb axes are Gilpins.

I've done a couple of Chichops hatchets & a 4lb felling axe in the past.

The curved handle seems to be a fairly modern invention for the most part. There is much conjecture surrounding the relative merits of strait vs curved. Strait are stronger for their given thickness due to more continuous grain & reputedly more accurate too.

In addition to Robin & BR's fine posts on the subject these are also well worth a read...

An Ax to Grind: A Practical Ax Manual

Download...
http://ebookee.org/An-Ax-to-Grind-A-Practical-Ax-Manual_950921.html

...or read online...
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/fspubs/99232823/index.htm

Also 'The Ax BookThe Ax Book: The Lore and Science of the Woodcutter' by Dudley Cook is widely available & full of interesting thoughts & anecdotes.

All the best.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE