My First Custom Scandi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
A few years ago, when I started lurking here, I unknowingly started down an interesting path. Though what I took in at first was not necessarily what was being shown and taught here...I saw a lot of wisdom in studying serious knife skills with smaller knives outside the kitchen. At that time it was primarily a continuing study in urban survival for me, in learning knife techniques to increase my effectiveness in the field if equipped with only a knife such as my kitchen paring knife. Over the course of those three years I spent a lot of time studying survival from that perspective and spent a fair amount of time working with smaller thinner knives. As evidence of the corruptive nature of this forum, I got another paper package from Andy the other day.

IMG_5638.jpg

DSC_0533.jpg

The specs are

Over-all length....8 1/4 inches / 21cm
Blade length.......4 inches / 10cm
Handle material....Natural canvas micarta with black canvas micarta bolster
Blade Steel........ 1/8 inch / 3mm spalted O-1

Maker: Andy Roy

http://fiddlebackforge.com/

I love Andy's craftsmanship, his handle ergonomics are always sublime, and as usual this one has been comfortable in every grip I have used it in.

DSC_0535.jpg

DSC_0547.jpg

DSC_0536.jpg

DSC_0541.jpg

DSC_0542.jpg

This one is my first custom with a scandi

DSC_0539.jpg

I really do love the way it handles

IMG_5762.jpg

IMG_5654cropped.jpg

IMG_5655.jpg

DSC_0557.jpg

DSC_0564.jpg

DSC_0562.jpg

DSC_0537.jpg

DSC_0528.jpg

DSC_0530.jpg

Though I am not now, nor will I likely ever be, a complete convert...I do still have my heavier knives that will always hold their places in my heart as well as my kit should I have any say so in that...I really do appreciate the knowledge I have gained from my time spent here. I will continue my survival studies as always. And I will always hope that I have one of my heavier knives on hand in time of need. However, I have put Andy's knives to the test on multiple occasions now, and I have learned many techniques with knives of this size and shape. It is a comfort to know that should I be out in the woods on one of my "escape days", when I hit the trail with minimal kit just to get away from it all for a few, and I'm just sitting under a tree whittling and relaxing, if the S does pick then to hit the F... much more can be done with this knife than I once imagined.

Thanks guys, there are too many to name, but I'm sure you all know who you are.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice knife, I reckon the more you use it the more confident you'll be with a smaller knife and find it punches well above it's weight with the right technique. I like the unfinished finish as well, instant character!

Thanks guys, Andy does great work. I have three Fiddlebacks so far and am hoping to get a few more. While I am more used to, and comfortable with other grinds: Andy's high-sabre convex grind (which is really sweet), flat grinds, and "normal-to-me" V grinds, there are a couple of things I have learned about this style of edge geometry. They are extremely easy to sharpen and leave a lot of strength in thinner blades like this.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Cant beat a forged finish, and I too like Fiddlebacks overall style. Looks like an excellent all round knife. Pretty too :)

Cant beat a forged finish, and I too like Fiddlebacks overall style. Looks like an excellent all round knife. Pretty too :)

I too like the rustic looking finish. This is somewhat of a new experience for me but I do really like the knife a lot. I have had the opportunity to handle several models of Andy's knives last year at the International Blade Show in Atlanta Georgia. There are a few more models I'd really like to get.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Are they really forged knives though? For some reason, I think I read something on another board, I was under the impression he made the knives through stock removal and then added the forge finish. I'm not 100%, but I believe the original comment was by Fiddleback explaining how he had made an improvement in the technique and was looking to be able to sign his name 'in' the unfinished surface. Correct me if I'm wrong tho!

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Are they really forged knives though? For some reason, I think I read something on another board, I was under the impression he made the knives through stock removal and then added the forge finish. I'm not 100%, but I believe the original comment was by Fiddleback explaining how he had made an improvement in the technique and was looking to be able to sign his name 'in' the unfinished surface. Correct me if I'm wrong tho!

I've done a few stock removals and heat treated them in charcoal and dipped in oil. This is what they looked like when I didn't clean them after, it's a finish I really like. It looks like a stock removal job as opposed to forged. If I want a shiney blade I heat treat with acetylene and clean it up after.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I've done a few stock removals and heat treated them in charcoal and dipped in oil. This is what they looked like when I didn't clean them after, it's a finish I really like. It looks like a stock removal job as opposed to forged. If I want a shiney blade I heat treat with acetylene and clean it up after.

Makes sense! More of a byproduct of an essential step (the heat treat) rather than a seperate cosmetic step. I love the look.

I have a question re Fiddleback knives though - I understand he doesn't take orders anymore and produces his knives by batch and then it's down to first come first serve. If that's correct where does he list his knives? Doesn't look like his sites sale section has been updated in donkeys

I'm pretty sure he does stock removal. I can not explain the process he uses, it is something he has been experimenting with for months and he has never given the technique away. I do know it's not just a color but a permanent texture and yes he did say he is looking into doing his signature this way.

I have a question re Fiddleback knives though - I understand he doesn't take orders anymore and produces his knives by batch and then it's down to first come first serve. If that's correct where does he list his knives? Doesn't look like his sites sale section has been updated in donkeys

He is not taking orders at this time. He is in the process of catching up on older orders, and will later implement a new system of ordering that keeps things running smoothly. He does plan on taking orders again in the future, just differently than he did before. For now the first place his knives are posted are in his sub-forum in the makers section on Blade Forums. There are also one or two on-line retailers who sell Fiddleback Forge knives, but I don't remember who they are at the moment.

Exemplary work.

Andy does some really nice work. And his knives are definitely made to be used. I took this knife out to the woods for a little while this afternoon to put it through some paces. I used it for some cross-grain batoning or truncating some hard seasoned sycamore and it handled that quite well. First I used it to partially cut through a long limb so that I could easily break it into a manageable size.

IMG_5861.jpg

IMG_5863.jpg

IMG_5865.jpg

and then to cut a piece of that down even further as if I were needing a piece for a hearth or the drier insides for tinder. The knife took the beating very well, with no harm done.

IMG_5868.jpg

IMG_5868B.jpg

IMG_5872.jpg

IMG_5874.jpg

Then I proceeded to baton that with the grain, no troubles there either. I think the knife is definitely up to most tasks I would need to perform to achieve fire even here in the temperate rain forest I live in.

IMG_5875.jpg

IMG_5876.jpg

IMG_5879.jpg

It also handled some tip work just fine as well.

IMG_5880.jpg

IMG_5881.jpg

IMG_5882.jpg

IMG_5883.jpg

Found it!

Yes, Mist, that's a very nice knife. I've just been looking at Fiddleback's website too. I need more money ;(

Claudiasboris

Thanks Boris, I've been wanting to try a scandi grind for a while now...thanks to the corruption of all you bushcrafters :)

Andy makes some really nice knives. Funny that you say that. I originally priced having a similar design made in the UK just because it seemed fitting. It was going to cost me nearly double plus shipping...and i already know how well Andy's knives are made. I own three and have another one coming.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE