Berghaus boots.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
I'd just like to warn people about the quality of berghaus boots. I bought a pair, brand new for £90.00, and after a very short time, the eyelets pulled out of their sockets with hardly any pressure at all. I am extremely disapointed because I have always trusted berghaus and have remained loyal to them. I used to own a berghaus "Crusader" bergen, similar to the Vulcan today. This bergen took a severe hammering and never let me down. Unfortunately it was stolen but that is besides the point. I'd hoped that all their kit would meet the same standards, but obviously not. I sent an e-mail to berghaus but they seem to have ignored me. I will telephone soon.

On a different note, I reckon that ordinary boots without gore-tex lining are far better. Plain simple boots made from leather,of course, are more practical. If water gets in over the top of gore-tex boots, then they take ages to dry and become inefficient. When I've "re-saved" some money I'll check out the options. Does anyone have any recommendations on boots? I was thinking about Scarpa.

Cheers, Julian.

Hi mate sorry about the boots.(which country were they made in?)
I bought a pair of Goretex KSB's(Black ones not the OG's) in 1993 and i still use them today and they have seen active service all over the world.
The scarpas are pretty good from what i can remember from lads who had them in the Squadron but i've heard that the Lowas are pretty s**t hot.
Your also right about normal non-goretex as long as you dry and powder your feet and change your socks everyday.
I suppose it depends on where you are or where your planning on going.
Seems these days that these firms are having everything made by slave labour at the cost of quality. :confused:

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Jjv110 said:
I'd hoped that all their kit would meet the same standards, but obviously not. I sent an e-mail to berghaus but they seem to have ignored me. I will telephone soon.

Cheers, Julian.

Not the first person to not like their boots, Do phone though as you always seem to get a better answer when dealing with a real person with companies like this. Can you take them to the shop where you got them from, that might carry more weight.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Julian,
I had a pair of Berghaus storm goretex lined fabric boots which i got about 10 years ago and couldn't fault them, used them with the yeti gaiters and they were great. I replaced them with the newer version and they were pants, completely different fit, they weren't compatible with the gaiters and felt so flimsy and poorley made. I ended up giving them away as i was so dissapointed. I wear Lowa boots at the moment but am looking at a pair of Meindl Borneo which don't have the goretex liner as they are less military looking.
Brian

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Jjv110 said:
On a different note, I reckon that ordinary boots without gore-tex lining are far better. Plain simple boots made from leather,of course, are more practical. If water gets in over the top of gore-tex boots, then they take ages to dry and become inefficient. When I've "re-saved" some money I'll check out the options. Does anyone have any recommendations on boots? I was thinking about Scarpa.

Cheers, Julian.
I can't recommend Scarpa enough. I've used SL's, Mantas, the T1 telemark boot, and Vega mountaineering boot, and they were all superb. Couldn't fault them. I own a pair of SL's, which are not cheap at 150 quid but so far are more than worth it!
What sort of boot are you after?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I also have had problems with a pair of Berghaus boots I purchased for work, not so well made I thought.

However I have been using a pair of Meindle Borneos since 1998, they have been resoled once and have walked a little over 3000 miles, through Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

I cannot comment on how good the current Meindle range are but suspect they are every bit as good.

maximus otter

Sep 14, 2003
UK
Meindl Borneo.

borneo.jpg

http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/Meindl-Borneo-Pro-MFS-Walking-Boot.html

Italian boots are top quality, but seem to be made for people with very narrow feet.

maximus otter

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i've got a pair of scarpa mantas, i've had them for 16 years and they're still going strong
(they've been re-soled a couple of times though) i can't recommend them enough

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
Cheers for the input,

I do like the look of the Borneos. Is the lining leather as well? I will check out both Lowa and Scarpa. I am basically looking for an ankle boot which is fairly light in weight and constructed from leather except the sole of course.
The berghaus I bought are were made in Thailand and do have the sole for the yeties. After wearing them for the very short time they were intact, I reckon they are not the right design for me, The sole is too rigid in a way.
When I was in the army, I had a pair of Danner arcadias. They were gore-tex inner, but I found them very comfortable and they really took a pounding and never let me down. A boot like those with leather lining would be good.
I'll keep an eye out, Cheers, Julian.

hootchi

Settler
Sounds to me like the boots are quite new and no-one else had problems so there are probably still under warranty. They might repair them for you?

I've got some miendl burma's which are very confortable boots with no defects. The borneo's are fully leather lined whereas the burma's are Gore Tex lined.

cheers:cool:

Not Bob

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2004
Andy said:
Not the first person to not like their boots, Do phone though as you always seem to get a better answer when dealing with a real person with companies like this. Can you take them to the shop where you got them from, that might carry more weight.

If you've had the goods such a short period of time that the shop is responsible for replacing the boots my advice is to go along to the shop during their busiest time and complain. If the staff try and fob you off then be polite and do not swear but be very firm, very indignant and increasingly loud. Do this by the sales counter - don't be led off elsewhere (make the manager come to you) and make sure you mention how you are disgusted by the disappointing service the shop has given you. Ensure other people coming into the shop hear you. My friend does this every time he gets rubbish service and he's had shop managers coming round to his house in their own time to drop off goods just to stop him coming in again and scaring away more customers.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
OK as a last resort do what the the post above says

I've never had a problem with any of the camping shops I go in and often the staff just chat to me about stuff even if I'm not going to buy that. Maybe I'm just lucky but I don't feel the need to give shops a hard time.

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
Although they are fairly new, I had them in the box for a while before i first wore them so they will no longer be under warranty unfortuately. I could have a go myself and fit some straps in place of the eyelets or bodge something.

Thanks, I'm off to check out these Meindl boots.

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
I bought the boots from Millets. It is berghaus I'm annoyed with for making their clothing "fashionable" instead of functional like it used to be.

However, I will take a trip down to the shop and see what they say.

Cheers, Julian.

It does seem that Berghaus has gone downhill. I recently replaced my last pair that I'd had for over ten years. When I went looking, the Berg's just didn't feel like the same quality. I ended up with a pair of Scarpa Peak GTXs. These were amazingly comfortable for a few months of light use until for some reason, my feet grew another size bigger :confused: :( So i now have an almost perfect pair of size 11 Scarpa's with hardly any wear on them at all. I would have sold them except for a splodge of purple paint from where I got roped into some impromptu decorating.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Danner do the Arcadia (most excellent boot...) in full leather instead of the cordura side panels. It will be slightly heavier of course but cost is about the same. I think USMCPRO.com do them.

Bike man, maybe your arches collapsed! Although my feet grow a size every 7 years or so since 15!! But then I did have size 5 feet in junior school...and 10's by the time i was 13.

Spacemonkey said:
Danner do the Arcadia (most excellent boot...) in full leather instead of the cordura side panels. It will be slightly heavier of course but cost is about the same. I think USMCPRO.com do them.

Bike man, maybe your arches collapsed! Although my feet grow a size every 7 years or so since 15!! But then I did have size 5 feet in junior school...and 10's by the time i was 13.
Arches are fine, after looking around apparently after 30, your feet are liable to get 1/2 a size to a size bigger :confused: I have a pair of shoes that I got for work about 10 months to a year ago. Got a size 12 as that was all they had at the time and I needed something there and then, and now they fit fine. Pity they're no good for walking.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I've had my KSB 300s less than two years and an eye has broken off.The outside edge of the heels isn't even worn down and I walk very heavily on heels.
Never had this happen on a pair of boots before;they usually wear out due to use rather than break.

Where are these boots made now? Anyone know?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE