German army sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

j.roberts7 said:
it all depends on how warm you sleep different people sleep at different temps
i have used one of these ages ago with out a mat and slept very well
but i sleep at quite a warm temp and for most of the time can get away without a mat or too thick a bag even in the uk winter
dont forget army sleeping bags are ment to be slept in fully clothed

I used one a long time ago, I wasn't very impressed, but as JR mentioned above it does depend on how you sleep (hot or cold) and if you are fully clothed.

I think RAPPLEBY2000 summed it up either you love them or hate them. :(

S

Skippy

Tried one once & ended up giving it to a gentleman of the road in canterbury.
found it to be too heavy for the quality of sleep it gave (or lack of it). Not bad in the summer but would not like to hike too far with one.

j.roberts7

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2005
best military bag i have is the 58 patern bag down filled but who cares for £15 you can use and abuse it if it gets wet ripped and dirty at least you havent just paid £250 for it

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
They stink... at least mine did, maybe it's just me though.
Was just the job for scooter runs 'cos you could still open and quaff a beer in your maggot.
Never used it in the hills or woods, US "Mountain" bag would have been the tool of choice back then. Big, bulky needed to be kept dry but toastie. Then I "aquired" a '58 long which lasted until I discovered Snugpack.

I may be wrong but vaguely remember somebody either actually or or threatening to sue over a certain well known surplus dealer describing the German bag as being "suitable for arctic use" back about '86/'87

Boxy

May 9, 2005
Abingdon
Hi ,

I too have used one of these on many occasions, as long as you bear in mind that they are supposed to be slept in fully clothed, they are no problem.
Perhaps a bit heavy for the amount of warmth provided, these bags are 3 season at best, however I have spent nights on welsh mountainsides under a tarp in one of these in february with no problems at all.

The secret to staying warm in these is quite simple, invert the arms so that they are inside the bag with you, and treat it like a normal sleeping bag, its a little cosy but eliminates the need for gloves or mittens.

Cheers

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
I used to have one of those. I didn't like it because they sre so bulky and quite heavy. the material is difficult to compress. You may also find that you'll be slightly cramped in it too. I think the parka bit was intended for use whilst driving long distances, in a truck for example. Like someone else said, when they're wet they take ages to dry our and are not that warm.

I've made this out to be really bad!! I suppose if you get one for a tenner.............

In my local Millets, they are selling two sleeping bags for £29.00. They don't seem that bad either.Obviously they're not for serious use but for mild camping trips in the summer they'd be great. Otherwise go for a Snugpak softie 6 or 9.

Julian.

aztec

Nov 29, 2004
Finland
Thought I'd post my thoughts & experience with these...

Have had one such bag for some 10 years, but it's seen relatively little use. Anyway, the concept is sound, and I really like the waterproofness. (Yes, the bottom is w/proofed). But the fact that it is rubberized can make it a clammy package, because it can get sweaty if you're warm, or if the tent is warm. Mobility is great, none of that "constricted" feeling some tighter bags will induce.
At some 3 kilos it isn't *too heavy*, but there's no way to compress it properly, so it takes a lot of room. As far as the 3 season rating goes ... well, I can't recommend it for anything under +5. Have had teeth chattering nights at -6, and event at +2, and these in a tent...

Anyway, pros and cons (subjective) noted on exercises and in general use:

+ Mobility of the arms = very "handy" (use *warm* gloves, and you'll be fine)
+ Doubles as a warm parka (no need to carry a separate coat) eg. at the campfire, camp guard duty, stargazing etc. (too squeaky for OP)
+ Summertime you can skip using a roll mat
+ Impervious to showers (no need for a bivi bag)

- Packs slowly (packing it in the integral hood, a tight fit, takes time). If you're out camping, that's ok, if you're on exercises, you don't want to spend the time.
- Noisy, it squeaks. Nobody's expecting a soundless tent, but you get quite conscious of the squeaking.
- It is a bit short, if you're over 185 it might be a bit constrictive
- Cold (then again, if you don't plan on using it below freezing, that's no prob).

So all in all, it's a sound idea, and it works pretty well in warmer climates. If you're alright with it being a bit cumbersome, go ahead and buy one, or two. It is a versatile bag. That being said, I've moved on to lighter weight bags (eg. an Arktis Halo 3 + a bivi bag clocks it in at 2 kilos, so I save a kilo).

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Anybody know where to get other sleeping bags with "arms". Sleeping in a mummy bag drives me bananas and I usualy end up sleeping with the zip half undone.

I have used the German army bag and find it great for warm weather camping. I dont bother using the waterproof cover as I find it too clammy. Not a great sleeping bag for cold weather.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Both me and a mate bought a couple of these sleeping bags years ago (we were about 18 years old so that would be 15 years ago).
He had the one that was fully waterproof and I got the one that was mostly waterproof with a stripe that wasn't (to allow it to breath, I assume).

Between crimbo and new year we set off to spend a couple of nights in LACY CAVES thinking we had some really good kit.
I would now like to apologise to the farmer with the nearby barn for us stealing a bale of straw each cos those sleeping bags were not really up to the freezing conditions :(

Heavy, took up a large amount of space, and needed covering with straw to keep some heat in :eek:

Oh and if anyone needs a really good supply of sodden wood I can reccommend the woods in the lacy caves area in winter :)

The caves were pretty cool though , well worth a visit:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE