What's your long term project for this year?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
Just wondering what long term projects people have planned for this year?

My main one is very basic in seeing if I can get by with using just a sub 3" non-locker (Victorinox solo, 20p off a car boot sale!) in place of a 4" fixed blade.

Any thoughts or contributions?

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I would like to forge my own knife. Not something I'm looking to complete this year but that is a long term project. I'd also like to learn how to sail, and go on a canoe trip.

mikergj

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2011
Oxford
Learn, learn and learn some more, get out as much as I can treading miles and wild camping.

And hopefully meet some like minded from here or attend a meet.

My mates think Im strange, but thats not a new thing.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Since I've just retired I have a few new projects.

Walk the Great Glen Way then head west to Ardnamurchan.:camping:
Spend two weeks as a wildlife guide on a holiday barge on the Caledonian Canal:grouphug:
Week long open canoe trip with lots of camping and bushcraft:canoe:
Visit my sister on the shores of Lake Huron in Canada.:beerchug:
Lots of Amateur Radio stuff:)
That's as far as I have got so far!:)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hopefully going to be very busy this year going back to basic, so when I can and before I go I'm making a lot of wooden things to improve my carpentry and carving skills, but the single biggest subject I want to improve this year is foraging for food, so plant, fungi and tree id, with a bit of tracking thrown in for good measure.

AlexRowan

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
Somerset
For me - continue the endless quest of being able to really enjoy the outdoors in an over populated, over farmed, over legislated south west....

On a more positive and less whingy note - go to Scotland and climb Ben Nevis.

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
Learn, learn and learn some more, get out as much as I can treading miles and wild camping.

And hopefully meet some like minded from here or attend a meet.

My mates think Im strange, but thats not a new thing.

Pretty much the same here.
Going to try to get out much much more this year, havent been out and about for a years...

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Now I know this might be a bit controversial, but I'm building a split log shelter in a private wood. Not too big, but big enough to sit up in and a comfy lie down. Still undecided what to make the roof out of. But it is becoming a nice little camp area. Made a saw horse to help things along and will slowly improve things. Long term it is going to become my outdoor workshop for some green wood working. If all goes well, maybe a pole lathe. But for now, it will become somewhere to chillout at the weekend and make the odd (in every sense of the word) spoon and wood spirits.

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
Long term project? My Son due in may its a very long term project

Congratulations.:)

As for me, I plan to renew my trappers licence which since it
has lapsed for several years,now
involves taking a 40 hour course on the latest methods,
tracking, etc., which is probably a good thing...always
something new to learn.

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
This year I am hoping to make my own knife already have the design - did it earlier this year just need to source the materials. Not sure yet on the handle material but it will be wooden but don't know which yet.

Hopefully get it started and finished by the bushmoot.

I also need to make some underblankets for use with my new hammock.

Lots to do and not alot of spare time to do it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE