Campsite recomendations in Moray,East Highland and Aberdeenshire?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Calurix

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 12, 2010
Moray, Scotland
Hi all,

My Son and I are going to go camping on Friday (25th), I am looking for a campsite that you could recomend in the Moray, East Highland and Aberdeenshire areas.

This will be the first time that it has just been the two of us and Son is not to sure about wild camping (hence the reason for me posting this).

At present I am thinking of going to the aviemore area (about a 50 mile drive) but if you know a good site we would appreciate the recomendation.

Regards,
Cal

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Have a look at Findhorn sands chap, beautiful coastline with Roseisle forest to the east, Culbin forest to the west(albeit over a little stretch of water. and when there on the beach, turn you back to the sea the look at the hill just to the left of the tower you can see in Forres, its about six miles from where your stood and a great days walk, and on the down ward side is a brilliant wood for a tentative wild camp. we lived at Kinloss up till very recently and absolutely love the area. if i can help any more please let me know.

Dave.

Calurix

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 12, 2010
Moray, Scotland
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've booked us in at Rothiemurchus campsite, I don't think it is to far from Glenmore but I believe it is at a lower elevation.

Should be fun, will post some pic's.

Regards,
Calurix

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Have a look at Findhorn sands chap, beautiful coastline with Roseisle forest to the east, Culbin forest to the west(albeit over a little stretch of water. and when there on the beach, turn you back to the sea the look at the hill just to the left of the tower you can see in Forres, its about six miles from where your stood and a great days walk, and on the down ward side is a brilliant wood for a tentative wild camp. we lived at Kinloss up till very recently and absolutely love the area. if i can help any more please let me know.

Dave.

You could also pay the findhorn foundation a visit - good coffee shop and they have some houses at the forefront in sustainable technology/living

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
I know its a bit late now, but there is also loch morlich campsite on the road to the ski center from aviemore. Beutiful setting on a lake, surrounded by pine woodland, with views of the cairgorm massive. Maybe a better one for summer as you can get in plenty of activities on the loch (kayaking, sailing)

Calurix

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 12, 2010
Moray, Scotland
We got to Rothiemurchus, the campsite is good (If a bit bright in some areas at night) you camp in the woods.

p1000452g.jpg

p1000458.jpg

As it was just an overnight and home for lunch the next day we never took much. After breakfast we went out a circular route walk.

p1000461h.jpg

Here is some of the wildlife we saw

p1000475z.jpg

p1000476u.jpg

p1000485o.jpg

The bird in the second picture I dont know what it is, it is about the size of a sparrow. Any ideas ?.

There was a red squirell in the trees when we got up this morning but he seemed to be camera shy or was out for a jog and didn't want to stop.

Hope to get out for the full weekend coming up so if I do I will be back here or Glenmore for definite.

thanks again for the suggestions,

Regards,
Stephen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE