Badgers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Are badgers active this time of year?
We're out for a weekend this...er...weekend, so yesterday we went to scout (can I use the word 'recce'? Yeah, I can, can't I), or rather 'recce', a camping spot. We found a nice one and whilst looking around the immediate area we found a badger sett, with fresh badger prints.
So we thought it'd be a good thing to do a Ray - find a nearby spot downwind and sit still and watch the badgers at dusk.
I suppose the presence of fresh badger prints means they are clearly active, but can anyone confirm this, and suggest the best time?
Cheers all.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Yes they are active.
I see them in broad daylight sometimes as I've found some above-ground beds at the bases of trees which they use, but dusk and onwards would be optimal.
Try feeding/baiting up your observation area with some regularity to keep them hanging around, otherwise you'll maybe just get a glimpse of them emerging from the sett before buggering off elsewhere to find some grub.
There will most definitely be trails to-ing and fro-ing so you can always wait along one of these. Creatures of habit they are.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Old dustbin guts will eat anything but peanuts are good. Smearing peanut butter onto a log or suchlike is even better.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Try to avoid peanut butter as it sticks in the teeth and causes tooth decay which is fatal in a badger. I used to use it until someone told me about the adverse affects it can have. Peanuts will do the job well. Dusk is the best time to see them.

Bluemerle

Nomad
Nov 6, 2010
Essex
They are also partial to tinned dog food! a bit later in the year you will often see the youngsters playing and exploring in broad daylight, they don't seem to realise they are supposed to be nocturnal!! lovely creatures, i hope you get to see them.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
At the moment Badgers are getting ready to give birth so they are very active digging out the birth chambers. You should see new spoil heaps and old bedding outside the entrance holes. At the moment they are in and out so often you will rarely get a good view. As for bait - I would restrict baiting until you really want to keep the badger outside the sett entrance for a while. In fact you should restrict baiting full stop. You don't want them to rely on it too much. If you do bait then peanuts (non salted) are fine. I must admit I've not heard of the peanut butter problem. Not too sure whether a small amount would make that much difference. I tend to use peanut butter as a scent attracter on trails away from the sett and a little higher up on a tree near a track trap to get good prints.

Oct 30, 2003
Cornwall
Interesting thread. There is a difference between baiting and using attractants. Essentially baiting is aimed at drawing in an animal to feed, and there are ethical problems with feeding, as highlighted in previouse thread.
If I want to draw an animal into an area, it is more effective to use attractants. This could include peanut butter, smeared on a tree, but out of the reach of the animal. Peanut butter is good as an attractant, as fat is a very rare item in the wild, and the peanuts are squashed and blended, so the fat smell disperses more effectivly than plain peanuts.The benefit to this is that the scent cone is greater and the animal doesnt become dependant on the food source.
As regards tooth decay, I dont know if thats the case , but I would stay and on the side of caution and not feed them peanut butter.

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
I have used peanut butter when setting track traps during courses, as it does bring things in. Having it up out of reach means that the first little critter that comes along doesn't run off with a big blob of it around it's face.

I tend to use peanuts from the stash of bird food if I am setting out the trail camera - not salted or had anything added to them that the food manufacturers tend to add. Only a few scattered about (in the right allignment as well to help the sensor pick things up - across the field of view instead of directly towards the camera). I don't do this often and when I do it is only on well trodden routes - where it is more of a small bonus for the badger, rather than a regular of substantial feast.

Laughoutlouder

Forager
Jun 21, 2009
Dublin
Interesting.

I'm feeling a bit lazy this evening and don't fancy getting a book out or using google anymore, way too much google today!

Could any of you guys or girls tell me the best habitat/landscape types to find badgers? Broadleaf deciduous? Hilly? Loosish/sandy soil? I have never seen a badger and they are definitely on the hit list!

Cheers in advance!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Woodland, or thick hedges bordering fields. You can't miss them. Most of the paths through woodlands are made by badgers and adopted by us. Look for the tunnels or gaps they dig under fences and then follow the paths from those, you will eventually come to a sett.

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
ive got a friend who actually lives in the woods in a hut he feeds the badgers he gives them apples and outher fruit plus fresh water he said they eat cereal to

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Badgers will eat anything. They bite each others bottoms, and nothing in the world smells as bad as a badgers bottom.

Badgers main diet is worms!

They will eat anything, I know of a woman that feeds them macaroni cheese most nights and they line up to get it. When looking at territory marking experts mix peanuts with black treacle and add small coloured plastic pellets that let us identify latrines and dung pits being used by particular sett dwellers.

As for where they will live.....pretty much anywhere except wet ground although I know of a sett that is in a burn that does flood at times. I've also been to setts in peoples gardens, under sheds, under new build houses (the owners were terrified that the badgers were going to come up through the living room floor and eat the children). Setts in coal bings with badgers that look melanistic (but its only coal dust) and in ruined buildings that have been demolished and now are just a pile of rubble!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I used to think they were quite rare until I started tracking back in the late nineties. Now every path I go down I see badgers tracks and signs. They are everywhere, it's amazing we don't see them more often.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE