Discussion- new to bushcraft.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Yggdrasil

May 18, 2005
Stevenage, Hertfordshire.
I young and have had an interest in bushcraft for a long time but have only very recently started trying out skills etc from books. I am however finding it dificult to get into as i dont know anyone personaly who is very interested in it like i am and i live in quite a poor location for just going out and walking. I was hoping that people on this forum who are relatively experienced could explain how they started getting into bushcraft.
This thread could be beneficial to many others too who like me are finding it hard to get into. :)
~

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
The thread I started which asks for help on my first mountain wild camping trip might be useful to you, too

I am also trying out some skills in my back garden every weekend - I'm ordering a Mora Training Knife (cheap, good for a first knife). That's how I'm trying to get into bushcraft. You could also go on an introductory bushcraft course. There's some names of some courses on the Bushcraft UK site. Also, add yourself to the bcuk map (can't find the link right now). You might be able to meet up with some people in your area.

And btw, you've come to the right place. There's some helpful and experienced people here.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Welcome to the forum Yggdrasil :D

There's a few groups that get together so that they can get to know each other, share skills etc. Have a look in this forum Meet ups

In a couple of weekends time there's a bcuk meet if you have the opportunity of getting over there, have a look here for more Information.

There's quite a bit going on through the year, I expect the closest one to you would be the Wales meets.

Hope that helps ;)

Slimey

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Hertfordshire
Hi,

Does the name Yggdrasil come from the Linux distribution?

I'm a relative newcomer to bushcraft too and I'm not that far from you geographically. There is plenty of open countryside in easy reach of Stevenage, though none of it open to bushcrafting. I have found one area nearby where I am able to stay and have a real fire, but cutting wood is a no no and the fire has to be in a specific place too.

It is better than nothing and has allowed me to practice my firelighting using sparks and various tinders though. Just spending a bit of time in the open air and sleeping under a basha is a good start though.

I was hoping to get to the Ashdown meet but the missus has decided that we're going camping as a family to Yarmouth instead. Good fun, but in a different league.

Ashdown is a great place, I recently did an introductory weekend course there in April with some of the people who are organising the weekend. If you make it there you'll be in great company and learn loads, too much to remember.

Have fun.

Simon

Not Bob

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2004
Womble said:
"Does the name Yggdrasil come from the Linux distribution?"

Isn't it the World Tree in Norse Mythology?

Yes. Almost certainly the Ash tree.

Yggdrasil

May 18, 2005
Stevenage, Hertfordshire.
Yeah you guys are right its from Norse Mythology. I am not very familliar with the tradition but am fond of the concept. Norse/ anglo saxon history is also something i want to learn about as well as bushcraft.
Thanks for that simon.
just out of interest what is the 'Linux distribution'?

Slimey

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Hertfordshire
Linux is a computer operating system. It is free software and you can put together Linux and other programs yourself, which is hard and time consuming. To get around this various people package the Linux kernel together with an install program and other stuff, these are called distro's or distributions. There is one called Yggdrasil.

You may have heard of Red Hat or Suse or Gentoo or Debian (my preferred distro) or any one of hundreds of others.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yggdrasil_Linux which does indeed mention the Norse link.

HTH.

Simon.

Dorian Gra

May 19, 2005
Isle of Islay
A good book which can be carried with you is the collins pocket series, SAS survival tips. Good book full of a wealth of knowledge to get you started.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE