Coleman Dual Fuel Lantern Problem

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squid

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2011
Swindon
Got a dual fuel and always used it with unleaded.

Recently, it seems to work ok but is gurgling a little.

By that I mean it goes to full light then looks like it wants to shut off for a second or so then back to full light. It keeps doing this the duration it's on.

Any ideas? Im wondering if it needs the pipes cleaning?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Mine does this very occasionally and I pump the lantern extra hard and gradually increase the on switch whilst alight/lighting and it cures the problem after a little while. Then its possible to turn the brightness up. I assumed that there is some liquid fuel in the area where it should be vapour. Haven't changed the generator yet. Hope that helps.

Squid

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2011
Swindon
Mine does this very occasionally and I pump the lantern extra hard and gradually increase the on switch whilst alight/lighting and it cures the problem after a little while. Then its possible to turn the brightness up. I assumed that there is some liquid fuel in the area where it should be vapour. Haven't changed the generator yet. Hope that helps.

Thanks for that, I shall give it a go!

Failing that Ill try a new generator as marcus suggested.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Fit a new generator and stop using car fuel, Aspen 4T or panel wipe is much cleaner, not tried brake fluid so anyone got a link?

Get the panel wipe in most good motor spares shops, burns clean and does not stink forever like petrol does if you have a spill.

Petrol in Coleman kit... will they never learn:nono:

Squid

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2011
Swindon
It actually said that could be used in the instructions!

Panel wipe or the Aspen now on my shopping list!

Petrol in Coleman kit... will they never learn:nono:[/QUOTE]

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
Since this is a thread about fixing a coleman, may I cut in with a couple of questions?
What is the generator on a lamp? and,
I have a coleman feather stove which works fine but it is either full throttle or go out. There is no way to get a half power adjustment.
Any Ideas to how the problem may be solved?

andy_pevy

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2006
Sandhurst
Fit a new generator and stop using car fuel, Aspen 4T or panel wipe is much cleaner, not tried brake fluid so anyone got a link?

Get the panel wipe in most good motor spares shops, burns clean and does not stink forever like petrol does if you have a spill.

Petrol in Coleman kit... will they never learn:nono:

NOT Brake Fluid.... 'Brake and Parts Cleaner'. The stuff that I use is sold locally to me by GSF (German, Swedish and French) and has the brand name CarPlan on the tin. It is made by Tetrosyl'.

It smells like panel wipe and certainly looks like panel wipe and when it evaporates it leaves absolutely nothing behind.

Andy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Since this is a thread about fixing a coleman, may I cut in with a couple of questions?
What is the generator on a lamp? and,
I have a coleman feather stove which works fine but it is either full throttle or go out. There is no way to get a half power adjustment.
Any Ideas to how the problem may be solved?

They are not renowned for their simmer ability but you can turn them down some via the red tipped knob.

Andy, whats the price per five litres on the break cleaner?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE