Albainox knives, any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
My local surplus shop is selling these brand of knives, any experience of these? The Mrs wants to get me a knife for xmas but doesnt want to order online

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
I have a cheapo folder from a market in corfu and it says this on the blade,..

i,m not sure but i dont think its a brand , i thought it was just a generic marking on the cheap blades,..

and it is , as expected from a market,..just cheap stainless with poor handle materials,...and lots of blade play...

Google Heienne Haynes mate,..browse the knives section and give some thought on owning a knife with a warranty and the excellent service from HH,....

I,m not associated with them, just a very happy customer,...

leave the link on her desk top as a hint,...hahaha

Hope this helps.,...

Cheers

Stu,..

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
It depends what you define as good. I have a bowie made by Albainox that I bought for 32 euros whilst I was over in spain. It looks alright, the micarta needed a bit more sanding and the solder on the guard is clearly visible. Not sure what steel it is but it chips ridiculuosly easily. I think the sheath is leather imitation, but tbh for the price I was kind of expecting that.

Depite all of that, I am relatively pleased with it - probably more of a scary ol' timer's knife than a 'user'. For £30 (or equivalent of) I would buy it as maybe a utility knife - but not much more. For the same price, I would have prefered to buy three moras or another big rock.

Depends what you want it for really.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
I have one and its rubbish to be honest (im waiting for Raikey to pull his finger out *jk*). It doesnt hold an edge very well, and when you can get it sharp enough to be of much use, it is brittle. I managed to chip mine by making feather sticks!! Admittedly it was chunky seasoned oak, but any decent knife should deal with that kinda abuse with ease.

Overall, i am dissappointed, but then you get what you pay for. The handle in its defence is quite good, and when i tried to take the scales off they were a right bugger, so creit where its due the handle...but a knife is meant to cut!!

IMO spend a bit of money on a decent blade as opposed to buying a cheaper blade now, and then another in a few months.

Just my 2 pence worth...hope it helps...

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
i,m gonna do a thread so people know *** we are on about,....soz for the hijack Peter!!

lol

Stu

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
yeah probs a good idea mate...although you'll be inundated with orders if youre not careful ha ha...sorry for the hijack peter...

PS - personally i would avoid Albainox...

flexo

Forager
Dec 3, 2010
france
en clear :no!

pd: hey piel de toro,do i know you? are you from barrio del carme,precisely from( formerly) calle sogueros?

Oct 7, 2009
Spain
I´m Luis from Spain, and I can say you that Albainox are bad China made knives. Look for Muela, Nieto, Joker or Cudeman. And sorry for my poor english.

Bye.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE