Flour to stop bleeding??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

whitey3192

Forager
Oct 23, 2010
North yorkshire
Ive been told today that flour, cornflour and talc can all stop bleeding, as an alternative to a 'kwikclot' type substance. was just wondering if anyone had heard this also and if there is any truth in it?

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I can see how it would work. I imagine unperfumed talc would be better being non-organic. i would worry on larger cuts about introducing something organic. But what do I know, I'm a photographer.

whitey3192

Forager
Oct 23, 2010
North yorkshire
do yo9u know if kwik clot is legal in the uk?

cant find anything about it on google

was just wondering if anyone could prove this theory

Last edited:

hoppinmad

Forager
Dec 7, 2009
Swansea Valley
Hi
just finished a wilderness first aid course two weeks ago and quick clot was mentioned for major bleeding..apparently paramedics in london and the south coast are now using
quick clot or celox...if you do use it get the first reponse stuff..it is enclosed in a type of large tea type bag..does not get as hot as the old stuff..and cannot blow into your eyes..some a & e staff may not be aware of it so fastern the package near the wound..to indicate that it has been used
Hope this helps
regards stu

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Flour's for very minor burns and scalds according to Miragi who's a chef.

I wouldn't recommend adding anything into a wound. Cover and if necessary apply pressure.

What goes in has to come out.

I thought kwik clot was not considered suitable for civilian use. We live and learn.

cheers,
Toddy

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
There are various dressings coming onto the every-day market now (not cheap but you only live once) designed to coagulate blood at the exit point for more serious wounds...

I need to look them up (QuikClot i do remember) but we where told about them at our FA refresher recently.

al.

Last edited:

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I would avoid adding non-sterile organic materials to a wound. If it's such a serious wound that sterility goes out the window I'd be too busy applying field/trauma dressings to start rummaging through the cook kit.

There's a reason paramedics don't carry a bag of Allison.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
on the flip side I know a lot of chefs who recommend sprinkling turmeric or pepper onto small cuts to form a scab, apparently they have slight antiseptic qualities but they do sting a bit!

Fingle

Oct 2, 2008
Wolverhampton
Turmeric is definitely antiseptic.

Stuff like Celox & Quick Clot is available from here: http://www.spservices.co.uk/ where I get a lot of first aid & medical supplies from.

Returning to thread.

Never heard the flour one, but have used sugar to stop bleeding, works best in the mouth (cuts inside the cheek that sort of thing) but it will stop a bleed pretty well, after care is a drama though as a lot of nasties like sugar solutions to grow.

Fingle

Sep 22, 2010
Potassium permanganate aka permanganate of potash seals small wounds instantly and is anti septic. In solution will cure rancid feet and saves you a trip to the vet if your dog gets a small cut. Appy powder with cotton bud direct to cut, have used on my dogs and myself with no illl effects for 30 years. Not sure about flour.

B

Beagnoth

Would make for a very tasty scab! Im sure I read once that in the old days of hack and stab bladed conflict it wasnt unknown for warriors to carry ground up horse dung as a life saver. Or was that dried powdered seaweed?

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
At the woodworking weekend this year, a young guy (18 ish?) cut his finger. He 'used' cayenne pepper to stop the bleeding - cue about one hour of holding his hand up, unable to use it. After an hour he scrounged a plaster from me (which I had offered 59 minutes previously).

I don't suppose flour would be much better.

I'd use direct pressure to stop or control the bleeding, then a dressing.

Cheers

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Don't know but a serious cut should be covered in a trauma bandage eg one of the isralei ones, and direct pressure to encourage clotting Flour may suck up the blood but direct pressure and a bandage will more likely prevent worseneing and slow down bleeding. Anything that's not 'approved' that you deliberately put into a wound can cause infections.

Nick

Last edited:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
well, this afternoon on my way to work I found a Postman in the road with a rather nasty hole in his face and I confess that flour (or any other foodstuff) wasn't on my mind as I reached for the first aid kit. Instead I opted for a nice large wound dressing and a bit of pressure to the bloody mess ;) Might be old skool but it seemed to work!

I might be tempted to try the condiments on myself if I have a minor oopsy in the workshop sometime, but for real first aid I think I'm going to try and stick to sterile dressings.

whitey3192

Forager
Oct 23, 2010
North yorkshire
can i just clear up, i wasn't suggesting doing it, and i am a first aider / ex army team medic.
i was simply asking if this worked using flour or not as i'd nerver heard this before.
was just wondering if anyone knew anything about it and if someone could shed some light.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
id stear clear of flour and just go with direct pressure / gaffer tape or plaster......

one thing i would say NEVER use quick clot unless you realy know how it works and what it can do as its very dangerous......however HEM-CON is a great product that clotts on contact and is made from shell fish.....its great stuff and needs minimal training to use all you do is open the packet and shove it into the wound add direct presure for 3-5 mins then add a compression bandage over the top.....

very good stuff but again pricey worth its weaight in gold though

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Can I hastily point out that those of us who are allergic to fish might have a worse reaction to the hem-com stuff that we can to bleeding.
Anaphylactic shock ain't funny for the sake of the time to find and use a bandage instead.

.....Having written this I thought I'd maybe best have a look at the manufacturers site and see what they had to say about allergic reactions.
Reassuringly, they claim there have been none :)

http://www.hemcon.com/Products/HemC...sing3x28inch/tabid/307/ItemId/45/Default.aspx

Wonder how it does on axe injuries ?? :)

cheers,
M

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
i've also heard of flour being used on a burn, my dad when he was a nipper in the 50's ran into the kitchen and knocked a kettle of boiling water straight over his back! apparently the next door neighbour was a nurse and she tipped a whole bag of flour over his back. according to dad the burns were that thick he hardly felt a thing, which i've been told is very bad. anyways by the time they got him to hospital he had this nasty mess of dough/skin on his back which the surgeons replaced with grafts from his legs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE