Restoration help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
I have a old Sheffield fix blade knife that has seen better days!!! Its dying for a makeover. does anyone no about restoring it back to its full glory? the blade is pitted from rust and the handle needs some loving... :sadwavey:

any help would be great!

Hatts

Last edited:

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
All depends on how bad it is..Are you a member of BB?Russell white repaired a folder for me.He's a Sheffield cutler so knows his stuff!

..Can you post a piccie?

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
looks like it just needs a good clean and a polish up - is it still solid or is the handle loose?

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
basically the blade has been scared by the rust, it has a pitted affect, that's the only way i can explain it.. there is no rust on the blade now. The handle looks like its been in a vice at some point due to the liners been crushed out of place. The only part of the handle that is loose is the very end part! Reads William Rodgers Sheffield England!

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Im just wanting to bring it back to life abit!! im not looking for perfection.. id like to get it looking newish, but i think the blade needs some king of chemical treating and the handle needs some loving of tools i don't have!

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Thing is, too much polishing in some areas will make other areas look odd. The blade looks like it would need a hefty grind to get rid of the pitting. You could just sharpen and polish the edge and it'll do fine.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
A new knife like that can be had for £25 if you want a shiny one. This is a nic eone with a bit oif age and was built to be a user. I would put a drop of oil on the leather handle to feed it a bit. If you want to polish the alloy pommel that would be easy with a bit of autosol. Then sharpen the edge and use.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I'm sure I read recently that vinegar can clean up rust. - maybe worth a shot.

other than that give it a going over with wet and dry. - go up through the grades - coarse to fine.
as for the butt of the handle - if you can get it off then you can get some epoxy glue in there, put it back together and it should be solid.

I feel a work in progress thread coming :D

Andy

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Wirewool and veg oil for the blade and a good edge. Maybe a bit or carnuba wax or cream for the leather and let it soak up.

Then abuse it some more.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
i have/had the same handle on a skinner,...

same as you it was rough and loose at the pommel,,

i tried the test the leather and it fell apart,...into dust,...

i,m currently gluing some scraps of various spalted and burr wood into a pile to have a play at handling it,...

Image0108.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE