*sigh* Which axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Been thinking about picking up a hatchet as the one I have was just a cheap number and hold's an edge similar to a piece of day old pakora...

Got it down to two:

hatchetmediuim.jpg

A Husqvarna

or..

710806_01_P_WE_4.jpg

A Masakari Ono (I believe I got the name right)

Similar sized heads (~1/2kg), similar length hafts.
I like the japanese hatchet for the beard, and the :cool: factor, but the husqvarna seems like it'd be a more practical splitting tool.

Pros and cons of each? Will I have to buy anything special to maintain an axe edge or will I be fine with sandpaper and compound?

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
never used either, but although the bottom one looks cool i think the top one is more practical and thats the one id go for.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I find that a straight edge is not as good as a curved edge for a field axe. Despite what the link says, I suspect the Japanese hatchet is more of a carpenter's tool than a woodsman's tool. What do you intend to use it for? Splitting kindling and roughing out spoons?

I have a Husqy hatchet, I doubt you'd regret buying it. They are usually rebranded and/or seconds Wetterlings (faults being consmetic).

Search for "an axe to grind", it's an excellent, non-nonsense article on sharpening and maintaining axes.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have one of those little Husky hatchets and although it holds a good edge the fact that the blade is comparatively thin means that its not so well suited to splitting wood.
Don't get me wrong, its good for some things but as a splitter its not that special.
In your post you don't mention if you need the axe for when out and about so a dedicated maul might be too big for what you want, if you are using it for at home then a maul with a head shaped like this is about as effective splitting axe as its possible to get.
Even kindling can be done with ease if you hold it right up near the head (if it was a hammer my woodwork teacher would accuse me of "Choking it") with one hand and kindling just shoots out to the side of it while the only effort you are putting in is lifting the maul as you hold the wood with the other.
DSC00164.jpg

Thin hatchets in general are fairly unspectacular splitters IMO as they bind in the cut.
I believe that Gransfors Bruks do a splitting hatchet but I've not had one to try out.

Seems that people love felling axes and general purpose axes and don't often even look at splitting axes or mauls when for splitting rounds for firewood splitters (its in the name after all) and mauls are infinitely superior.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I use the Husky and really like it...

Not too heavy for the pack, comfortable to use, battons (not a fan of swinging an axe at night or in the wet) and I've recently convexed (bit of a phase I'm going through LoL!) it to shaving sharp, and i mean shaving. It actually pop's hairs from my arm.

And, for the money... you really cant go wrong!

£20 posted it a steal, i paid a bit more.

al.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The Maskari Ono is a carpenters axe designed for shaping wood. It is entirely unsuitable for splitting - the edge geometry is all wrong, so if its just those two to choose from, and splitting is the aim, only the Husqy makes sense.

Red

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Splitting whilst out and about in the woods as well as other normal bushy tasks, not really going against large diameter wood. I have a maul that works a treat for anything large but I want something portable. I suppose the japanese hatchet is more for working seasoned/dry wood.

Plus.. free shipping.. no brainer!

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
The Japanese axe is not a masakari although Dick list it as one. The Masakari is a huge axe used during hewing for splitting off large chunks after notching. Ono simply means "axe" and that is what this one would be called in Japan. I have not used the Dick one but Axminster do a cheap Japanese hatchet at similar price and it is a good kindling splitter but no more. I suspect the Husky would be a far better bet or consider the Bahco, not as pretty but a good axe.
ShowImage.aspx

I did a blog post a while ago about "which is the best axe" looking at many of the alternatives pros and cons. http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.com/2010/07/which-is-best-axe-for-carving-bushcraft.html

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
The chaps over at Natural Bushcraft have posted a youtube video which shows them making a bowl with what must be a new edition the Gransfors range, 'the Hand Hatchet or Kubben'. It looks quite handy, small but with a heavier head than the 'Mini Hatchet'.

Worth a look perhaps.

[video=youtube;19ncMNDMl2E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19ncMNDMl2E[/video]

Last edited:

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
i use the bahco camp axe was a bit put of by the orange end on the handle but i think its a good axe for the money and sharpens easy i made a sheath out the front of a hard back book and duck tape lol does the job

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
What do you guys think?

I think you need to decide specifically what you want it for. Axes come in all shapes and sizes and are one of the most task-specific tools you can get. Is you axe going to be carried in a backpack or kept in the car or kept at home, are you going to be carving with it, is it just for splitting firewood etc? Once you have considered this carefully, you can refine your choice.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
husky for me - the cast body of the other axe puts me off. Though I am sure it would be a good carpenters axe.

check out old kent pattern axes on ebay.

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE