storage ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ian_glover

Nov 29, 2010
Derbyshire
evening all.

ive started using vasaline and cotton wool balls for fire lighting, but im stuck for some waterproof storage ideas. the vasaline is stored in a plastic tub but id like something metal that is less likey to break.

is anyone using the same method as me?
what are you cotton/ vasaline balls stored in?

thanks in advance

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Mine lives in zip fastening polythene bags with my birch bark.

I can change its size dependant on how much I have and keep some spare bags in case i find any more trees.

Darkside

Forager
Nov 2, 2009
Aldershot, UK
I have got some in a 35mm film case and some I have in an expandable plastic drill bit box - the type that you get if you buy a large diameter drill bit as seen at top of picture Here

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I took 1.5" of 28mm copper pipe and soldered on a cap made from sheet copper. I whipped the entire length and added a turk's head at each end, all in 1.5mm linen twine and well greased. A cork finished it off.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've used all sorts, show polish tins, hair wax tubs, pill bottles, film canisters etc etc.

Handy tubs are the lockable airtight ones from the supermarkets, there's one around 6x5cm which is a good size.

Zip lock bags with the air squeezed out are the best for stuffing into spaces in a stove kit.

Asbo

Aug 30, 2010
Fareham, Hampshire, UK
i use a couple metal Kodak 35 mm the old ones that were made out of metal there quite strong and to make sure water inst getting in i use inertube from a bike around the seal to make sure no water can get in also its good to have on it as its good for making fires.
and just keep a couple of them in my kit , i also got a couple full of other fire lighting materials. Pine Sap,Charcloth its good :D

hogstable

Forager
Nov 18, 2004
sheffield
I used a urine sample tube and rammed the cotton balls right to the bottom but when I had to use it I had to dig them out with a twig. Now thinking of using an altoid tin, 99p from Morrissons with free extra strong mints. Very easy to ut in a pocket and forget about them. Ziploc bags seem good to fit around things.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oil of Olay face cream pots :)
Seriously, sturdy little plastic tubs with screw tops.
I go through one a month, so over the years there are loads of them. They even come with an inner cover lid if required.

cheers,
Toddy

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I don't tend to carry a lot of tinder - there seems to be quite a bit to be found in the countryside I've found ;) however I have a few in a 'case' made from a couple of shotgun cartridges. Under the pencil sharpener in this pic - The shorter one to the left has just vaselene and the longer one is a match case

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I have an empty vaseline lip balm tin like this

images

for carrying on short trips or days out and a larger moisturiser tub from my wife for longer trips.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE