Keeping the cold at bay

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
While sitting around the fire i always get a cold back, no matter how many layers i seem to have on. I have thought of laying a blanket over my knees and warming it up over the fire, and then periodicially throwing it over my shoulders to keep my back warm - does anyone have any other tips??

I always seem to suffer from cold feet when i stop walking (i.e when sitting round the fire in the evening and also when in my sleeping bag). I have tried the technique of immersing my feet in freezing water, which makes your feet seem lovely and warm for a while after, but this seems to be a bit of a faff! Can anyone recommend any good thermal socks or alternative ways of keeping toasty feet?

Also, can anyone recommend any decent thermals? I am going camping in the black mountains next weekend, and with the weather as it is at the moment, needless to say i am cacking my pants a bit!

Cheers

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
You don't mention if you wear any thermal garments, so if not I would suggest you look at getting some for winter outings. Another suggestion is, and I am assuming some sort of chair for sitting round the fire, perhaps a wooly blanket on the chair.... this way you can stop any draught. If all else fails a hot water bottle. :camping:

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I tried using a blanket on my chair but found I still got a cold back but since I now use a silver faced closed cell mat on my chair it's totally eliminated any cold back or bum :rolleyes:

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
a thermal fleece buff around the neck may help as when the neck is warm it seems to make the back feel warmer, i use a merino wool buff i bought a fleece style copy of the buff in the 99p shop the outher day and iam very impressed as the merinos are about £20. iam off for a hike tomoz to test a new tarp out iam also after some wild trout, this time of year i always have my german issue longjohns on with a decent thermal tshirt tucked in to them ive never had the cold back problem.

Last edited:

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
if youve got a woolly back like me then sweat is probably the issue whilst your moving your hot but the minute you stop the back gets cold. The key here is some really good wicking base layers to draw the moisture off you before it chills.

When it comes to your feet i suffer here too, i ended up with bridgedale socks (expensive but very good) use a thin pair of cotton socks under them then well i opted for thermal boots (fur lined snow boots) with that set up my feet stay warm

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
No i have never worn any kind of thermals, but never really dony any proper winter camoping until now. Just having a browse on a few outdoor shops now for some, some are a tad dear mind. Good point Southey ill make sure i take me hip flask next wkd ;)

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
I stayed under a basher for 2 weeks on Brecon with 18" of snow, i was a bit cold to start of with, but got used to it.....by the end of week 2 I was in combat trouser and T/Shirt during the day....

have never used thermals even though ive got them, all I do is use good boots and layer up, strip of when i get warm/hot before i sweat and get another layer back on when I stop....

gortex socks should help with cold feet though, and I use Lowa mountain or combat boots, bit pricey but they are very good and last....

chris..............................

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
gowersponger is it not out of wild brown trout season? surely the trout are spawning at this time of year, or if not gearing up for it, surely its unsporting to be fishing for them just now? plenty other fish with sporting oppertunitys esp for the pot!!!

I like the icebreaker baselayer under a shirt, combined with a thick but light fleece then a outer shell. Has always been ok for me, you could try using a space blanket or something similar.

I was thinking that when your huddled round a fire if you were leaning forward and tightening the material of your outer shell over your back, it would squeeze the air out of the base layers reducing there insualting ability, so maybe a blanket over your jacket might be good as it wount be streched.

Either that or two fires, sit in between them lol

While sitting around the fire i always get a cold back, no matter how many layers i seem to have on. I have thought of laying a blanket over my knees and warming it up over the fire, and then periodicially throwing it over my shoulders to keep my back warm - does anyone have any other tips??

Two fires? Sounds facetious, but sleeping between two fires is a recognized technique in cold climates, when things get bad. Otherwise something behind you to reflect the heat maybe.

I always seem to suffer from cold feet when i stop walking (i.e when sitting round the fire in the evening and also when in my sleeping bag). I have tried the technique of immersing my feet in freezing water, which makes your feet seem lovely and warm for a while after, but this seems to be a bit of a faff! Can anyone recommend any good thermal socks or alternative ways of keeping toasty feet?

Hot rocks from the fire, wrapped in newspaper make good hot water bottles. Otherwise sterilize tmrws water by boiling, then put water bottle in a long sock. Hot water bottle + sterile cold water ready for the morning.
Oh and get some decent thermals, don't need to cost that much.

Definitely give the thermal baselayers a go. My girlfriend got me a set of icebreaker 250 leggings and longsleeve shirt, and they've done the job nicely while sitting round the fire in Norway and Sweden the past few weeks, when it's been down to -10°c. Obviously a nice wooly jumper always helps, particularly of the norwegian variety as those guys seem to know a thing about staying warm.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
lidl quite often sell lumbar/kidney warmers when they are stocking motorcycle gear.

I picked up a set of Lidl thermals the other week. Best ones I've had, and I've had a few sets over the years for motorbiking. Sat out all day without a fire today (minus 2 at best) making a Xmas wreath in the woods. OK, I had a few layers on, but really cosy.

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
Two fires? Sounds facetious, but sleeping between two fires is a recognized technique in cold climates, when things get bad. Otherwise something behind you to reflect the heat maybe.

A reflector is definitely my preferred method. With one side anchored to the ground and the other pitched high so you have an open-sided box - think inverted 'L'. You will find it collects a good amount of heat and keeps off the inevitable surprise rain shower.

I like the look of some of these Finish shelters which have a silver coated interior to reflect the heat...

http://www.scandinavianoutdoorstore.com/en/teltat-ja-majoittuminen/laavut-ja-louteet/

eg

Vihe_Loue_1.jpg

or

laavurankinen.jpg

Last edited:

whitey3192

Forager
Oct 23, 2010
North yorkshire

Also, can anyone recommend any decent thermals? I am going camping in the black mountains next weekend, and with the weather as it is at the moment, needless to say i am cacking my pants a bit!

Cheers

for the feet, a decent pair of boot socks, army issue ECW (extreme cold weather) socks are great when used in conjunction with a pair or gore-tex socks over them.

for thermals try army issue softie trousers and for a jacket id recomend a buffalo rather than a softie, as i feel the fleece lining gives that extra cosy feeling in itself. but dont wear them when walking as you will just overheat within about half hour, especially if tackling up hill sections.

try http://www.outdoorgeek.co.uk/Buffalo-Clothing-Buffalo-Mountain-shirt-p/ms.htm
for a buffalo jacket, also good but about half the price are montane, which are basicly just copying buffalo. but still very good.

whilst on the move, as has been said already, a good helly hansen or even the army issue thermal vest is a very good warmer.

Last edited:

seb.h

Nov 28, 2010
Mid Wales
I'll always get a cold back when sitting by the fire, simple case of it's the only part not being warmed, my solution was to lay down, personally I find this to be quite comfortable. making a windbreak structure behind you can help to reflect the heat onto your back. Making a long fire could also improve your chances. I'd also unless it's very cold I'd open up your jackets as well this could help you.

I also get cold feet, currently I am wearing two pairs everyday and my toe are still cold. I know you can buy products like toastie toes which could be useful but unfortunately are one use only and quite environmentally friendly. the reusable ones also I don't rate as they have to be boiled to be re-heated which I think is more effort than it's worth.

I think one of the best things you can do is have extra clothes and spare socks to put on as soon as you stop moving.

There are a lot of good baselayers you can get, I wear helly hansen as they are synthetic and don't itch me, down side is it can live up to it's reputation and smell quickly. I know a lot of people wear the merino stuff like icebreaker and I hear it is very good and doesn't smell it makes me itch though, being wool it is also not quite as durable and will develop small holes especially around the neck and wrists and is more expensive. One thing I can't stress enough though is stay away from cotton, it does not wick and your sweet will stay in it and freeze and this will make you colder.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
A good blanket around you is good.
I use one when i'm sitting in a chair and it keeps the draughts out.

At the weekend without chair I was using a multimat to sit and lean against.
Also let's you lie down for a bit too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE