Which Headlamp would you recommend?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Energizer, got mine in Tesco reduced to £3. Unless you are getting up in the middle of the night to go climbing some ice field in the alps I see not reason for anything more; so long as I can see around my tent/camp and miss my feet when I go for a pee I'm sorted.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
i defiantly recommend the energiser, i have quite allot of head torches being a carp angler, and a head tourch fiend, i have them ranging from very cheapy ones right up to some more of the most expensive petzal ones, and i can honestly say, hand on heart for the money, those energizer ones, are fantastic, i have the small one, which i think cost me 4 quid, and it has the switch at the top to turn it one way or the other for red or white, and i have the big brother to that, that you press the button for the different options, which is in my opinion, amazing for a tenner, i also have the alp kit head tourch, which if you like a green light, instead of a red light, say for tracking or you just like the glow of the green, its great, but you still can't beat the energizer, for the money.
hope that helps lads
lee.

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
i ordered the alpkit gamma last night and it arrived today 12.50 including delivery and batteries...qualty headlamp for such a cheap price...try it out you wont regret it....it has large white beam,small led white light,small red led,and small green light...atb Allan

seb.h

Nov 28, 2010
Mid Wales
It depends very much on your usage. Many people will recommend the alpkit gamma, This is a good light, very bright and the price is excellent at only £12.50. however the battery pack on the back is a little clumsy and there is no memory so you'll have to shift through all the beam options when you turn it on. I have one and my biggest issue by far is the battery life, which I believe is between 8 to 10 hours, which for a modern torch isn't great and it'll turn it's self on in your pack. It's not an alpkit exclusive and can also be found on sale as a silver torch and I'm sure there are probably some other labels you'll find. Other lamps which you will want to consider are any of the petzl torches. at the bottom of the spectrum you've got the tikkina 2, £20, 23 lumens, 2 modes. At the other end you'll get the MYO XP at £65 it's a beast, has a high beam out put of 85 lumens and a boast up to 140 lumens, has a number of economic modes too. petzl head torches and very robust and mine has only just been retired after 7 years and it's been retired down to a backup so not completely dead. Black Diamond also make great head torches but these are I feel priced just a little to high for what you get out of them. have a look round, some will have features like red lights which can be useful for preserving your night vision, however I feel if you need a torch you need it to see, so sometimes this is really just a gimmick. sorry for rambling, hope this is helpful and hasn't confused you more.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Go with the Gamma, the main beam is decent enough and you get a red, green & blue LED for low light/map reading. For example, the green is useful for OS maps as the countour lines are red, so you can't see them when using a red LED, blue is useful for fluid identification and medical applications (apparently) :)

yeah apparently blue is better for seeing veins to cannulate, i think thats BS i could never tell the difference and found it easier to do without the blue light on in the back of the wagon

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
Not sure if this one is found in the UK, but I really like the Princeton Tec Eos lamp...waterproof (not just water resistant) and
three brightness settings. It's waterproof enough that I used it for some night snorkeling in Algonquin Park and got some great
underwater pics of a big snapping turtle..
rsaug2010163.jpg

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
thx to all buddys!
I got my new headlamp already - it´s a black diamond Spot I think!
65 lumen output with a maximum battery life from 50hours! It also has a second mode with 30lumen and both modes are fully dimmable down to 3lumen!Runs on normal AA-batterys (the same as in my other stuff - which I really prefer), has no batterypack at the back and is waterresistant! Got it for 28EUR (around 30GBP).
Really love it!

ATB Mike

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
yeah apparently blue is better for seeing veins to cannulate, i think thats BS i could never tell the difference and found it easier to do without the blue light on in the back of the wagon

The public toilets at work have a blue light and IIRC it's actually to prevent folks finding veins. Just 3rd hand info so happy to be corrected.

KP

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Ive got an Energizer headlight and find it perfectly adequate for doing what I want (has a single red led option as well). The battery lasts for ages and I think I got it for £10 or less on offer in a supermarket IIRC??

Did wonder if anyone had one of these? Really like the look of the Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme, but they hard to get in the UK.

Weird, had heard the oppisite. Might be the type of blue light. There is a McDonalds in Oxford street with a downstairs toilet, nearly killed myself because of those anti-drugie lights.

I really like the Cheap Aldi ones to be honest. Worth getting one to see if you can get on with a headlamp.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE