Any Jerry Can projects?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Allybally

Forager
Feb 23, 2006
Glasgow
Does anyone have any templates / Ideas for old Jerry cans?
Had an idea for a BBQ or maybe a forge, love to see photos for ideas

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
you could easily make a forge. just lay it on its side, cut the top off (side), drill a hole to accept a steel pipe at the bottom. the pipe goes through so it reaches the other end and has small holes drilled allong its length. use fire cement and fill the jerry can with the pipe in place with the holes facing upwards. then just mold a valley shape with only the top of the pipe exposed at the bottom.
then all you need is an air sorce such as a air bed pump or some sort of fan/ hair drier to attach to the pipe.

i have seen plans for this somewhere using a wide tin bucket so can't see why a jerry can wouldn't work too:)

pete

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
just make sure the jerry can never held petrol or diesel and if it did that its been thoroughly and utterly washed out!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
They are pretty good at carrying petrol.

To clean them out rinse with hot soapy water, drain as much as you can then rinse with meths and empty. The meths absorbs water residue.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Twodogs a member here made mine:

http://www.bushcraftliving.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6350

In use:

mysetup10.jpg

Last edited:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Hope Craig can put some pics of his up.

I liked how he attached the grill but the legs would be too technical for me.

I've still to christen mine.
It's cut much the same as Martins.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
I`ll put some pics up soon when i can prize the wife of her laptop , being away all weekend the kids were on my lappy and now it will only start in safe mode .
Got a few pics of mine in action but it still needs some more ventilation holes .

Craig...........

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I've seen pictures on the internet about making one into a toolbox, not tried it myself yet but it doesn't look at all hard to do.
20090728_08-1.jpg

A mate and I threw this together recently from an old washing machine.
DSC01198.jpg

Last edited:

gsfgaz

Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
I've seen pictures on the internet about making one into a toolbox, not tried it myself yet but it doesn't look at all hard to do.
20090728_08-1.jpg

DSC01198.jpg

thats brilliant mate ,, toolbox wit a idea... washing machine bowl nice 1

Allybally

Forager
Feb 23, 2006
Glasgow
got an old one from a car booty so out with the cuttting gear at the weekend!! Thanks for all the ideas, i'll post the results soon
Dont think swmbo would take kindly to turning her washing machine into a fire bowl, could always get her a wash board though!

Lovin that washin' machine drum mate, have heard of this idea from a few folks. It Obviously works superbly. ( I had the drum out of ours the other day changing the bearings) - '*unt of a job it was' - so take note all - you have to work hard to get one of these!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
20090728_08-1.jpg

DSC01198.jpg

A washing machine drum has been my garden junk burner for around ten years now, does a great job too although a tad heavy and bulky for camping I'd have thought. Would make a great BBQ, just add about 30 kilo of charcoal and you could cook all weekend :) Mines static, supported on bricks though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE