Comp for the budding knife makers amongst us!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Its like the penny in the wall, My grndfather is a bricky as his retirment job and allways leaves penny in any thing he builds, no one will see it but he likes to know his mark is there, I like that,

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
my kind of thinking - done that sort of thing for years - thing is I've been around long enough to uncover some of my own hidden marks!

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
It hit me when i did my first knife, this thing will hopefully outlast me and then some its weir to think that you have contributed by actually MAKING something, A bit deep for a saturday night i know but hey!

Dave

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
Don't worry Dave - most of them will be out having a beer! It occurred to me too - not much I can leave behind, but what I make has to be worth more as a legacy than money, surely?

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Yeah deffinately it says a lot about your character. That you took the time and effort to do something, there are a lot of people who's only contribution is to criticise or belittle and they leave no trace of themselves once living memory has died out.

Generations will be able to look back on what you make and see that you put a little of yourself into everything you make!

Dave

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
just a question but, did you heat the file to make it soft to file the profile or did you just use a grinder/belt sander??????????

chris...........

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
it was heated up to soften. The main outline, such as it was, then cut by angle grinder. Then the blade flattening and bevels by hand and eye (must get a vice!), no jigs, no power. The file 'teeth' in the handle area however were flattened initially with the grinder - couldn't bring myself to do the hidden bit by hand! ;)

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
cool thought so, when i do my blades its all done by eye on the belt sander now, just a simple jig to rest my hands on so they dont get sanded too.....lol.....

The knife in my signature is made from a file and it is very sharp, keeps and edge no matter what I throw at it....since, I have re-profiled the handles and oiled the wood....files make cracking knives and they last forever, cut nearly everything and make you feel confident about what you are doing.

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
Bit cleaner now :)

P1010010.jpg

P1010009.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE