how do you carry yours?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

favorite carry style

• on the belt (strong side)

Votes: 267 53.3%
  • onthe belt (cross draw)

Votes: 71 14.2%
  • around the neck (bandolier)

Votes: 70 14.0%
  • in a pack

Votes: 93 18.6%

• Total voters

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
i use a baldric so i can carry my knife without it being seen or keep it in my trouser leg pocket or pack :wave:

woodrat

Forager
Dec 31, 2004
Oregon U.S.A.
my knife is on my belt, but my bolo or machette goes across my chest. this allows me to draw and cut in one motion. similar to how a katana sword is employed. I can return it to the sheath by feel, no need to look. this has proved a exellent system for me, over 20 years now.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Packpal carried crossdraw is my latest acquisition but turns out to be much the best carry.

I have a woodlore too, carried baldric style like everyone else, but I dislike it's tendency to slide forwards when I lean over anything. I'd rather have it tucked closer and tighter under my left arm as you would a pistol in a shoulder holster - need to experiment more. Conclusion has to be that the sheath on the Alan Wood woodlore is superbly made but it's a traditional design intended to be threaded on a belt with the knife pinched between belt and body. This is a lousy concept however good the execution.

Behind the strong side hip is the best for a folder but not a fixed blade.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i ware mine on my near side hip!
never liked haveing stuff round my neck.. seems to have too much free movement.. but maybe i am doing it wrong :?:

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
My fixed blades are all neck carry for discretion. Sometimes I'll put them in a trouser pocket or in my pack in civilized areas. Never ever use folders.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
tomtom said:
never liked haveing stuff round my neck.. seems to have too much free movement..:?:

The method of carry I have been taught holds my knife tight under my arm.

Wrap some thick-ish cord around the sheath leaving two long ends at each end, tie each end to the other with fishermans knots spaced so that when the knots are together you have a loop long enough to hang round your neck and across your chest. When the knots are drawn away from each other the sheath is pulled under your arm and presuming the cord provides enough friction and the knots are tight, the sheath is locked in place.

Some pictures here.

Last edited:

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
Depends on what pack I have and where I am going. If with a hike club usually a Mora on the neck but under the shirt. Plus pocket knife. Also if just a day pack I can do belt carry as I don't use hipbelts on day packs.

If I am using my full backpack then there is a padded waist belt so neck carry is the only comfortable way. This does not include the Mora if I am wearing my survival vest as the vest had an upright pocket just inside of the vest that doesn't interfere with the shoulder straps. :pack:

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I always have a Mora in neck carry. I use lampwicking with breakaway stitching. It's more comfortable and less dangerous than paracord or even leather should I manage to garrot myself ( and a emergency source of tinder.). My one hand opening RSK Benchmade is in my pocket, the idiotic pocket clip ( can we say 'lose me?') removed and a bit of lanyard tied off to a belt loop. If I'm injured the ability to retrieve and open the knife one handed is paramount. My Fallkinven F1 is worn on my belt when hiking. But I have a caveat! tight belts and big belt buckles, knives or other rigid junk are potentially hazardous. I watched a drugstore cowboy with a huge trophy buckle get tossed. That big old buckle lacrated his liver. A spare Mora in the rucksack is cheap insurance.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
I've gone over to using paracord outer with a (breakable) chain inner on neck sheathes... At least that way I can be pretty sure that no-one is going to manage to strangle themselves with it.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
I carry mine around my neck, like sandbender mentioned, I find this works for me as I'm left handed and too tight to purchase a left handed sheath. Also its unobtrusive while walking in the woods near others.

Brian

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Ideally I'd opt for a neck carry but practicality usually means I carry crossdraw - being a lefty usually means this is best as the blade clears leather the right way round!

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
i either have mine on a neck sheath or i have extended the loop on my woodlore so it hangs about five inch lower this is a lot easier to draw from has i had my shoulder rebuilt 4 years ago it also aids when jumping in and out of a vechiel

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
It's always been on my belt normally but now that my new Allan Blade PackPal has arrived....it'll be crossdraw for me all the way.... so much better when getting in and out of cars, wagons etc etc or even just sitting in camp chairs....it just doesn't dig in :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE