has anyone made a tipi?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
they come as one laavu in 2 halves each half can be a poncho so that 2 people carry then tent. To be honest i wouldnt dream of wearing it as a poncho and in fact i sown my two halves together to make a permanent sealed tipi to ease setting it up basically you buy one as a laavu but in effect its two ponchos

greenshooots

Nomad
Oct 18, 2007
s.wales
The tipi design is not very good in rainly weather
depends on the originals i saw in canada they had a quarter
circle inner cover that could be moved used for sleeping after say these tipis where way bigger than expected

greenshoots

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
I'm going to have a go at making a tipi/lavvu in the new year, following something similar to the tentipi design, I've already had a go at calculating the size and material I'll need but still not settled on a final size or design yet :)

Last edited:

PhotoGirl

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2010
Lancashire, UK
I have had a good 7 years of textile training during my schooling college extra taken courses and general interest, I have been thinking of making my own for some time and after all this i think i might have to join in and try making one myself also. What a source of inspiration you all are :) been looking for something to do on what little spare time i have at the moment.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
that chute looks good mate, the problem with tipis is they have to be quite large especialy if you want a stove which is ok to use on a camp site but not ideal for keeping a low profile in the woods, so im trying to work out what size id like by putting a center pole in the garden and using string tied over like the fabric would be to gage the size which is fun.

Jul 13, 2009
South Wales
121de00.jpg

don't know if that gives you any real sense of size TBH but it's the only photo i've got

stuart
How did you convert the tipi to take a stove, ie; how to get the chimney through the canvas?
I was thinking of removing one of the windows and replacing it with a sheet of silicon rubber bonded in place with a hole
in the middle any better ideas??

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
How did you convert the tipi to take a stove, ie; how to get the chimney through the canvas?
I was thinking of removing one of the windows and replacing it with a sheet of silicon rubber bonded in place with a hole
in the middle any better ideas??

i cut an X in one of the windows and pushed the chimney cowl through that.
the first time i used it the plastic molded itself to the cowl pretty well with the warmth from the chimney, this made a nice tight seal and worked really well. it even kept the rain out, which i hadn't expected at all.
the second time i used it (last weekend) the plastic had gone a little bit brittle and ripped as soon as i pushed the cowl through. because it had ripped it didn't fit so well and ended up flapping against the chimney, it melted and stuck to the chimney and then burned away. surprisingly it didn't cause too much of a problem at all, i guess all the burning plastic fumes went straight up through the cowl so at least it didn't smell. it may well have been a different matter if i hadn't been in the tent at the time though.

the way i'd go about it if i was going to be keeping the argos tipi would be to remove one of the windows and replace it with a "sleeve" of a fairly heavy polycotton, i'd put a drawstring in the end of the sleeve so that i could pull it tight around the cowl. if i did that i'd try and make the thing as "neat" as i could, i'd want as little excess fabric flapping around as possible.

stuart

Jul 13, 2009
South Wales
Cheers for info, are you using a twin walled flue? what have you used to protect the inside of the tent from the heat?
If i can sort out some heating for the missus she might be a bit keener to venture out in the winter!!

Atb
Scott

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i made a cowl to go around the chimney out of a bit of thin sheet steel, it's about 4" bigger than the chimney, so there's a 2" space all around the chimney. the cowl still gets warm but not hot enough to burn/melt the tent fabric.

stuart

Sep 4, 2013
Waukesha, wi
Well i know this is late to you, but i just joined the forum today! Anyway, I'm a Yank from Waukesha, WI and I got obsessed last year after spending a week in the Sawtooth mountains of Idaho in a canvas wall tent/wood stove combo. Right after returning from ID I started investigating tipi designs, and started accumulating canvas from old tarps and tents. I also fabricated a steel frame that is collapsible and has a stove pipe at the top center. Lots of finger ****** later, here is what I came up with:

https://plus.google.com/photos/115053680507657939029/albums/5900558187183660225?banner=pwa

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE