Air Rifles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Which kind of air rifle do you prefer?

• Spring-piston

Votes: 226 57.4%
  • PCP (pre-charged pneumatic)

Votes: 146 37.1%
  • CO2 (carbon dioxide)

Votes: 22 5.6%

• Total voters

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Recently dug out an old Sharps Innova that I bought more than 30 years ago. 4 pumps take it to near legal levels, and still superbly accurate as no recoil. Quite a little rifle and light with a simple 4x40 scope, but comfortable nevertheless. And with only a couple of pumps it can be used for plinking/garden use without worrying too much about blasting through stuff.

Webley have just brought out a new pcp that is charged by a single pump - the Paradigm I think they call it. Only a single shot, but no need for external pumps or compressed air cylinders.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
just bought myself a weihrauch hw90 in .22 flavour i'm well impressed with it so far only fired about 50 shots but its a beast :D. just waiting for payday so i can do a bit of tinkering with it, going to get a new barrel for it in .20 cal to convert it then maybe a custom stock

Weihrauch hw77k in .22 gathering dust at the moment.I am now a townie and no longer have vast areas of open space around my house to shoot on. Its a good solid accurate gun and I really should sell it but I dont want to as I might get use out of it sometime.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
Daystate X2 with a bushnell IR scope in 177 form :D

3fcdca03b5c84_0_b.jpg

stretch3144

Feb 3, 2009
North Tawton, Devon
I'm not a shooter myself, but have a query about some of the rifles on this thread. The ones in the photos seem to have silencers/suppressors on the barrels. So why does an air rifle need a silencer? I have shot L85A2s quite a bit during my Service career and they obviously make quite a crack, but surely an air rifle is a lot quieter?
Apologies if I seem a bit dense.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
An unsilenced PCP airrifle, especially at FAC power levels can be very loud but a very simple silencer can reduce the noise level quite dramatically.

Go to about 1.15 on this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxcozCdGloU

thats a 12ft'lb rifle, at FAC levels an unsilenced rifle is much louder

Last edited:
I have recently bought an air rifle but I can't find which one it is.

It has stamped into the barrel 'Made In Spain' also 'ElGamo' it has a sticker on the barrel that says 'A.S.I. Statical .22 Recoilless system'
Also on the left hand side of the barrel just near the hinge is stamped 'Cal .22' and 'B13911'

Could you please help me to ID this rife.

19042010428.jpg

It is what it is...an A.S.I rifle and one of value, not many of them about in that condition...it would fetch a fair price on one of my forums....let me know if you intend to sell.

When shooting an un-silenced air rifle whilst in a hunting situation the resulting crack is enough to scare everything else around you away...because the effective hunting range of a sub 12flbs rifle is about 30 yards, stealth is a big part of an effective kill and making the least amount of noise is paramount...so is suppressing the crack...by doing this you might have the time to get a second shot in at another bunny, pigeon, or squirrel who has decided to stay....works for me...all of my rifles have suppressors/silencer and the result with a PCP is the noise in your ear of the hammer striking the valve or "ping" as I call it and nothing else....its a bit unfair realy.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
A silenced PCP is a very good hunting tool. - I often find that the crack of the pellet impacting on a rabbits skull is what causes most of the noise.

but as said you often have time to get in another shot at a different target.

Andy

crimsonred

Mar 20, 2010
shropshire
when using an air rifle sub 12ft/lbs you are shooting at maximum distances of 50 yards, so any quarry within that short distance will be alerted to the sound of the pellet leaving the barrel- from a couple of hundred yards the sound isn't really noticeable but from within the kill zone, any prey hearing that loud crack will be aware and away if they see movement. so a suppressor is ideal. noise alerts them, movement makes them scarper.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
New toy alert!

Just got this off of Max, and been tweaking it. Its a HW77 .22. Old 25mm version.
I wasnt allowed an air rifle when I was a nipper. [But I got one anyway, and hid it under the bed. :evilangel:]

Havent shot an air rifle for years, but this is now putting out 11.8ft lbs, and is a joy to use. Very accurate. Polished the internals. Added a 2 piece air logic 'whisperer' silencer. Which works really well. New custom piston seal, breech seal, delrin washers. And an MTC Viper 10x44 IR scope.

IMG_20121208_100735_274.jpg

Im gonna find a local club, get reaqainted then maybe take it out for rabbit's.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Cheers Resnikov. Its in excellent nick. Thought this thread was worth ressurecting. Lets have a look at yours then! :D

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I have always loved springers, but I sold my HW80 and I've had this over a year now and am rather smitten by it.
It's certainly made a dent in the squirrel population!

17112011759.jpg

Daystate Huntsman .177

resnikov

Cheers Resnikov. Its in excellent nick. Thought this thread was worth ressurecting. Lets have a look at yours then! :D

I've just got a naff .177 Gamo Apache. Its a junior gun so its tiny. Had for 20+ years. ONly just got back in to shooting in the last 6 months. Saving up to get a "proper" size air rilfe. Loking at 2nd hand Weihrauch planning to spend £150 - £200 on the rifle. I got a Hawke scope which I got in November which only just fits on my little air rifle, so will move that scope on the Weihrauch. Will post some pics up when I get it if SWMBO dosn't get her hands on my savings :p

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I've just got a naff .177 Gamo Apache. Its a junior gun so its tiny. Had for 20+ years. ONly just got back in to shooting in the last 6 months. Saving up to get a "proper" size air rilfe. Loking at 2nd hand Weihrauch planning to spend £150 - £200 on the rifle. I got a Hawke scope which I got in November which only just fits on my little air rifle, so will move that scope on the Weihrauch. Will post some pics up when I get it if SWMBO dosn't get her hands on my savings :p

You should get a beaut for that. :)

I have always loved springers, but I sold my HW80 and I've had this over a year now and am rather smitten by it.
It's certainly made a dent in the squirrel population!

17112011759.jpg

Daystate Huntsman .177

Cracking! Thats a beauty. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE