Air rifle power measurement

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Hi Guys

Can anyone recommend somewhere near Huntingdon to have my BSA Hornet [/SIZE]chronographed?

I got it from a nice guy on this forum but I don't think it is giving the power necessary for humane kills of rabbit/squirrel, etc. So maybe it needs a service or something:dunno:

Does anyone have this rifle who could comment? I think it is a beautiful rifle and want to get out and slot some squirrel vermin as they have taken all of my sunflowers, :cussing:

Cheers
Craeg

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Any local Firearms Dealer should have the necessary equipment to check its power - though for the cost he would charge you might as well buy a chronograph yourself and buy a tin of high quality pellets of known weight. You'll be able to check it yourself and then you'd only have to get any servicing done.

You could also post your query on Airgun BBS forum as see if anyone in your area has one you could borrow.

ATB

Ogri the trog

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Hi,
Don't want to sound preachy - but....if you are serious about using the rifle on vermin, buy your self a chronograph. Knowing what power your rifle is delivering with various pellets is part of your responsibility as a shooter. 11 ft ib should be plenty at sensible ranges.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
tree rats are hard to kill unless you get a head shot bang on. they will just run of if you miss the head and die later maybe.

id say about 20 yards is the far end of the range but if your a realy good shot 25-30 very very max range.

you could also just go and get a new spring which is about £15 you local gun shop will be able to do it for you for a small cost.... fox springs are awesome and will improve the power to adleast 12ft id. the Fur and Feather at Ely are good and also buy game and vermin freshly shot.

also try the steel tip plastic tail pellets for hunting, they are lighter and so have more power but travel more with wind as they are lighter.....

hope this helps.

chris............................

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
12 ft/lb is legal 12.1 ft/lb is over the limit as i understand it......?????
I took "At least 12 ft/lb" to be over :eek:

something to watch out for is the effect of pellet weight - an air rifle tuned to 11.9 ft/lbs with an average pellet will be over 12 ft/lbs with a heavier pellet - and you can guarantee that if the police have cause to test your air rifle they will go for the worst case - i.e. the heaviest pellet they can find.

When I was actively shooting HFT it was usual for the air rifle to be set around 11.2 ft/lbs as that allowed a bit of a safety margin. Admittedly this was with a pre-charge which can be affected by changes in temperature

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
I'd not buy into the heavy grain pellet transfering more energy....It's pellet effeciency (the way it traps the volume of air forcing it out the barrel and friction coefficients to do with it sliding along the surface of the barrel)
Some heavy weight pellets can give you lower muzzle energies I know FACT!
So my point is don't go with a rule of thumb!....Get a chrony and check each type of pellet you wish to use!!!
It is fun ;)
Mojo

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
So my point is don't go with a rule of thumb!....Get a chrony and check each type of pellet you wish to use!!!
It is fun ;)
Mojo
I'll agree with that (but being an engineer who works with instrumentation I would, wouldn't I LOL)

I also remember reading stories on the airgun forums of people who had taken air rifles into RFDs to be chronoed, and having found the guns to be over the limit, the RFDs refused to return the gun to the owner until the owner had paid to have corrective work done :yikes:

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Try and find the contact details for your nearest rifle club, most clubs with an airgun section usually have a chronograph which members can use, they might even let you come down as a guest and use it if you speak to them nicely. If you're new to shooting joining a club also provides a good opportunity for regular practice and to make shooting contacts.

Last edited:
Hi Guys

Can anyone recommend somewhere near Huntingdon to have my BSA Hornet [/SIZE]chronographed?

I got it from a nice guy on this forum but I don't think it is giving the power necessary for humane kills of rabbit/squirrel, etc. So maybe it needs a service or something:dunno:

Does anyone have this rifle who could comment? I think it is a beautiful rifle and want to get out and slot some squirrel vermin as they have taken all of my sunflowers, :cussing:

Cheers
Craeg

The power of your Hornet is factory set at a little over 11flbs...your gun is regulated so shot to shot consistency should be less than 10fps...I would be very surprised if the gun was over the limit as it is fitted with anti tamper....and to reiterate a former muting shooting Tree Rats is a head only issue, if you shoot them in the chest they will run for a long way until they die a painful death....I advocate only head shots for all fur and feather and be aware of the regulations on what you can shoot and what you cant....enjoy your gun but make sure you are accurate with it....I have been both shooting and bush-crafting for over 40 years and i could not have a wounding on my conscience.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE