New Invention ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wilekayote

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2005
sydney
Water bladders with pipes are very popular these days but

1. They are expensive
2. Prone to puncture and leaks

How about a standard Sigg bottle top modified so that a drinking pipe is stuck through it and welded so that its leak proof. Sigg bottles are very popular so alot of people would only have to buy the modified top - which would be cheaper than a complete bladder and more robust.

I sent this idea to SIGG around 8 Feb 2005 but never heard back.

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
I would have thought that the MOD wouldn't have much problem with this, after all you can drink from an issue bottle wearing a S10 using the staw attachment. It wouldn't take much work to make it work outside of the gas kit.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
they already make a hydration kit for sig bottle's. The problem is that there the bottle isn't flexible. The result is that you creat a vacuum, so you have to blow air back in the tube after you sucked the water out. They created a valve in there hydration system for that, but it's leaky and doesn't let air in very well... A blader doesn't have that problem. I perosnally have owned 4 hydration bladder and have never puncture one of them. Wenn there are in there insulated and protective sleeve, there really isn;t much that can puncture it easily.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
wilekayote said:
How about a standard Sigg bottle top modified so that a drinking pipe is stuck through it and welded so that its leak proof.

You mean like the SIgg Hydro tube :wink:

640224.jpg

http://www.cotswold-outdoor.com/Cat/26759

They've been making it for a few years now, not commonly seen though.

Scoops

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
PC2K said:
they already make a hydration kit for sig bottle's. The problem is that there the bottle isn't flexible. The result is that you creat a vacuum, so you have to blow air back in the tube after you sucked the water out. They created a valve in there hydration system for that, but it's leaky and doesn't let air in very well... A blader doesn't have that problem. I perosnally have owned 4 hydration bladder and have never puncture one of them. Wenn there are in there insulated and protective sleeve, there really isn;t much that can puncture it easily.

A flexible pouch is prone to puncture, but a rigid bottle needs some sort of valve to allow air in...

So, put a flexible pouch inside the bottle and do away with any complicated valves. This is exactly how a "bag in a box" for wine works.

Keith.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
wilekayote said:
Water bladders with pipes are very popular these days but

1. They are expensive
2. Prone to puncture and leaks

How about a standard Sigg bottle top modified so that a drinking pipe is stuck through it and welded so that its leak proof. Sigg bottles are very popular so alot of people would only have to buy the modified top - which would be cheaper than a complete bladder and more robust.

I sent this idea to SIGG around 8 Feb 2005 but never heard back.

A flexible pouch is prone to puncture, but a rigid bottle needs some sort of valve to allow air in...

So, put a flexible pouch inside the bottle and do away with any complicated valves. This is exactly how a "bag in a box" for wine works.

Keith.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
PC2K said:
they already make a hydration kit for sig bottle's. The problem is that there the bottle isn't flexible. The result is that you creat a vacuum, so you have to blow air back in the tube after you sucked the water out. They created a valve in there hydration system for that, but it's leaky and doesn't let air in very well....

PC2K has said it all. The reason hard bottles don't have a long straw system, or do have but no-one uses it, is because it dosen't work. The bladder (or bottle) needs to collapse as the liquid is removed. The issue waterbottle straw system already mentioned isn't that great.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft

well why take a hard bottle ? a protective sleeve will protect ( and insulate ) the bladder enough and will reduce in size as you emty the bladder. I like the fact that a bladder doesn;t eat space wenn your not using it.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
PC2K said:
well why take a hard bottle ? a protective sleeve will protect ( and insulate ) the bladder enough and will reduce in size as you emty the bladder. I like the fact that a bladder doesn;t eat space wenn your not using it.

I don't know what sort of protection the bladder needs. You're right, of course, that a simple flexible sleeve is enough to protect against abrasion and can be insulated. But maybe you want something to protect against compression, too.

I think that for a soldier, who's likely to have to lie flat to take cover, a back-carried bladder like a camelback is maybe OK. But if he rolls to move sideways without breaking cover, he'll squash the camelback and maybe force water out through the straw... unless there's some valve that can resist the pressure, or enough spare space to allow for this.

Anyway, what sort of capacity are we takling about? One or two litres?

Keith.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
In defense of water bladders...

I am completely sold on the Platypus bag. You can get these in many shapes and sizes and even make them into hydration systems if you like. I have dropped them full, by accident, onto sharp rocks and they only bounce. I'm not saying you can't puncture one but they can take FAR more abuse than you would imagine. My only complaint is that they permanently stain if you use iodine in them. First timers think my waterbags are dirty. They get over it as soon as the thirst hits them. Mac

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
wilekayote have you used one?
Mine has traveled hundreads of miles with me in my back pack in my experience (which is only with the platapus brand) these bladders are EXTREAMLY dureable.. i rate as good as a bottle.. since they pack so small when empty.. you can boil or freeze water in them.. the only down sides to them as i see it is they are harder to fill from streams and such just by putting the nozzle in the water.. an they probably dont stand up to puncture so well as.

Tip.. depending on when and where you are useing one it might be wise to invest in an insulative cover for the drinking tube.. i have had mine freeze on two occasion.. and holding it in your armpit to melt the ice is a pain :wink:

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i never had problem with compression issue's. My bladders doesn't seem to be effected by pressure and i never had a valve leak on me even wenn the bladder is compressed. i have fallen on my camelbak and did not see any effect... well it did saved me from some backache. Also a camelbak has a valve that you can manually be operate, instead of the bite valve alone. Wenn i got my first hydration bladder i though pressure was a bit of a issue, but after using them for years, i have no problems with it and i actually put some pressure on it, so i don't have to suck on it to get my drink....

wilekayote

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2005
sydney
doh! should have thought about the vacuum. I did search the Sigg site but could find any mention of them. Anyway thanks for all the replys.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
This (no offence meant) is a bit of an odd thread. There are two basic hydration systems: rigid bottles (Sigg, Storm Shield etc) and hydration pouches (camelbak, platypus). To my mind, you get one or the other depending on your preference to how you drink. :?:

woodrat

Forager
Dec 31, 2004
Oregon U.S.A.
for my camp water bags I got several of those mylar bags wine comes in and sewed bags with straps ,[ looped], in all the corners so I can hang them. hold from 1 to 2 gallons , work great , I've been using them about 3 years now , pretty durable, and except for my time sewing bags, free.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE