New Ray Mears TV series???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Simon1

Nomad
Nov 17, 2005
Maidstone area in kent
Hi all,
The wife informed me the other day that she saw a new RM tv series being advertised.
Does anyone know anymore details, what channel, when, what time??
Thanks!!!!!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's strange that they are only showing half the programme on ITV and next year broadcasting the full hour long versions on Eden. What's that all about?

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
It's strange that they are only showing half the programme on ITV and next year broadcasting the full hour long versions on Eden. What's that all about?
Crappy sales technique, show regular 30 min version on normal tele, and the extended 60 min version on A Sub only channel in the hopes of attracting more customers... Tis why there is internet.. ;)

laro13

Nomad
Jan 21, 2010
The Netherlands
Crap!!! I am outside the uk, so no ITV on my telly. :(
That's another RM show I cant watch.

I hope it will be on a local tv station, in the future.

Cheers,

Jasper

mattweasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2010
hertfordshire england
Really looking foreward to this, although half an hour means you just get into it and it feels like it finishes too soon. Hopefully the full hour version will come out on dvd.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
It seems that Ray Mears' programmes lately are more focused on wildlife than on bushcraft, don't get me wrong I will watch and no doubt enjoy this new series. (Both the 1/2 hour and the full 1 hour versions).

It's just I wouldn't mind watching a more bushcraft orientated programme by Mr Mears again. I feel he's very easy to watch and very informative. Fingers crossed.

Maybe I'm being snobby here, but I just get this feeling that Ray has sold out since moving to ITV.

Since the move his shows seem to be more downmarket 'infotainment' compared to his previous excellent more Bushcraft centric shows. But then I do come from a family where my parents called ITV the 'light channel' ;)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
If some one is going to buy the show you want to do surely you will go to the channel, I dont think its a matter of selling out, also he has done a lot of bushcraft skill programmes, in fact i dont think ive watched one yet that hasent coverd the subject,

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
so basically its a wildlife show with a new presenter - I told you he wanted john cravens job. Half an hour is probably all the attention span itv can hope for based on its current audience and having to squeeze it between the useless moron and overpriced ego shows - I dont think the format is that extendable to the hour (45min) show for eden but would probably work for the bbc2 audience who like david attenborough.

I doubt you'll see any more bushcrafty programs from him again till he's in his 60's and needs the money so expect some wildlife companion and photography books for the xmas market coming up (as ewmntioned in the article the 'ray mears field guide to britain' is likely to make an appearance) - 7 odd series of bear grylls with more coming and with newer shows like dual survival and man woman wild I think he knows he cant compete with the modern format that sells in america now les stroud has hung up his wellies. you might get the odd celebrity special again. I cant say his hour long shows managed to hold my attention for a few years now and I doubt he has the budget of the likes of blue planet which is aimed for a global audience so I expect a lot of close up nature shows with panoramic helicopter views of a fat rambler wandering through the country side with an easy to overdub in hungarian voice over telling you how beautiful it is and how it must be protected for future generations :) as its has been commisioned by the factual and daytime section it will be on par with the latest lot of programs after the emmerdale workers collective show and before coronation road.

Cant say I'm surprised he moved to itv though as he has to rely on most of his audience from the confused adrian chiles fans and they are doing the natural britain thing with any celebrity they can get their hands on but I'm still waiting for world of newts with ken livingston :) I did find it interesting when it was revealed that itv2 3 and 4 have better audience figures showing old shows than itv1 does - I struggle to watch any of them. they do seem to commission shows with aim of showing once on terrestrial then

if you want it then no doubt it will wind up on filesharing as usual where at least they cut the ads out for you. Mind you it'll be interesting to see who does decide to sponsor the show as advertisers are choosy now.

still there's allways bear grylls and the bearcraft format to fall back on when dave finally wear out the world of survival tapes. hopefully we might get some myke hawke as his book isnt bad.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE