Copyright?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Little Viking do you mean for BCUK or in general?

Copyright law and trade mark law is very complicated - but as a general rule if you give the original sourse credit you should be ok with copyright and as for trademarks as long as what you say is true as trade mark isnt worth squat.

But dont take my word for it - try Danzo on BB he's a legal boff or I have a friend and ex-member of this forum who is a whizz kid corperate guy in London I can give you his details and you can try him.

Hope that helped.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Thank you. Mostly for BCUK. :) I forgot to mention that the pictures are from the swedish army survival handbook, which is a public, online book and can be found here ! (it's BTW much much better than US armys, it gives detailed info on how much each plant gives in calories, set up nets for fishing, etc. and has VERY good pictures)

So i should be alright if it's an online book and I mention the source? :)

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Gary said:
but as a general rule if you give the original source credit you should be ok with copyright and as for trademarks as long as what you say is true as trade mark isnt worth squat.
Sourcing credit doesn't mean a thing ... I could tell you here that I will let you use XYZ in a book or on a website and then sue you later because I could say it wasn't me that typed this but my cat (or maybe that cat from next door, I don't like the look of that). The only way you can be certain of not getting sued when you use anything that belongs to others is to get the permission of copyright holder - and you would need that in writing. This kind of declaration would need to include the fact that the copyright holder declares that they are in fact the copyright holder (and not passing something off as theirs) and they they are giving you permission to use their material in a particular way. I know because I have to do this sort of thing all the time.

There are fair use laws but these are complex and usually only applies to reviewing and journalism. Some material also have policies that allow you to make use of their material as long as you credit it - but never assume anything.

A lot of the time I find that the hassle in trying to get permission is not worth it and it's far better/quicker to create original material or new material based on the old one (derived) along with changes and improvements.

khimbar

Nomad
Jan 5, 2005
birmingham uk
That's a cool looking pdf though. Anyone fancy having a stab at translating it for us or know where there's an English language equivalent. About the only word I could work out was rucksack. :?:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Adi007 said:
Sourcing credit doesn't mean a thing ... I could tell you here that I will let you use XYZ in a book or on a website and then sue you later because I could say it wasn't me that typed this but my cat (or maybe that cat from next door, I don't like the look of that). The only way you can be certain of not getting sued when you use anything that belongs to others is to get the permission of copyright holder - and you would need that in writing. This kind of declaration would need to include the fact that the copyright holder declares that they are in fact the copyright holder (and not passing something off as theirs) and they they are giving you permission to use their material in a particular way. I know because I have to do this sort of thing all the time.

There are fair use laws but these are complex and usually only applies to reviewing and journalism. Some material also have policies that allow you to make use of their material as long as you credit it - but never assume anything.

A lot of the time I find that the hassle in trying to get permission is not worth it and it's far better/quicker to create original material or new material based on the old one (derived) along with changes and improvements.

Just as well I said dont take my word for it!! :yikes:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
khimbar said:
That's a cool looking pdf though. Anyone fancy having a stab at translating it for us or know where there's an English language equivalent. About the only word I could work out was rucksack. :?:

Khimbar I dont think there is a english version avaialble. I have the book format of this as well as several of Lars Falt's book and I think you'll find even in Swedish the pictures speak for themselves.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Cheers HOODOO - Thats the term I was looking for 'fair use', thats what I meant but credit the original source.

I have just checked this out with Zackery and his take on copy right is that unless you plagerise (sp? - steal) or in some way openly set out to make profit from copy righted item or sources you are ok as long as you credit the owner of the source. That said as the swedish army handbook is on the public domain and down loadable, as long as you dont plan to print it and sell it you should be ok using it as a source of information.

At least thats what I think he said in English!

But again as you have seen above peoples take on these rather vague laws are often different so always check or err on the safe side.

Also different countries have differnet laws so what is permissible in Sweden might be a flogging offence in Iraq!

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
The bottom line of all this is that fair use of not, bcUK doesn't have permission from the copyright holder. Whatever individuals want to do is their own business and if someone kicks off about it, it's their responsibility. When members post here they accept responsibility for any consequences of what happens but to avoid aggravation it's best to avoid duplicating copyrighted material. Links are fine, quotes are fine, but wholescale duplications is a grey area and we don't have time to deal with it. If you want to put it on your own site TheViking/Gary, fine, that's up to you but here we can do without the agro.

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I am no leagal brain.

But I would imagine that if you went out and duplicated and tested a shelter type displayed in the text for example and took your own photos and wrote your own review of how easy it was to construct and how comfortable/waterproof it was would be of more benefit and more enjoyable to read by all the BCUK members as well as yourself and I would not imagine you being in breach of copyright law.

This is just my opinion and thoughts. As I said I am no legal brain.

James

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
jamesdevine said:
I am no leagal brain.

But I would imagine that if you went out and duplicated and tested a shelter type displayed in the text for example and took your own photos and wrote your own review of how easy it was to construct and how comfortable/waterproof it was would be of more benefit and more enjoyable to read by all the BCUK members as well as yourself and I would not imagine you being in breach of copyright law.

James
Well said!

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
jamesdevine said:
I am no leagal brain.

James
I have done that often, but when you do you get a lot of background in the picture which i don't like and a drawing (as in the swedish army handbook) shows more clear IMO.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I am also no great photographer(previous reviews you have done have very good by the way :biggthump ) so I can certainly relate to that. But it is as I see the only way to really avoid the copyright police. You could also include a link to the pdf after the review in a why to clear up any questions that the read may have. Kind of like a Bibliography so to speak. It also give credit to the original source.

Again only my thoughts.

James

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
jamesdevine said:
I am also no great photographer(previous reviews you have done have very good by the way :biggthump ) so I can certainly relate to that. But it is as I see the only way to really avoid the copyright police. You could also include a link to the pdf after the review in a why to clear up any questions that the read may have. Kind of like a Bibliography so to speak. It also give credit to the original source.

Again only my thoughts.

James
Yeah. I think i'll just stay clear of copying anything, to be on the safe side. :)

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
if you want to copyright something.. say a picture.. do you have to apply for copyright like you would a patent.. or do you just say.. this is my picture, for example

'Images and text on this site may not be reproduced without the express permission of the owner.
Copyright © 2003 - 2005, ME'​

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Copyright is automatic to the creator - tagging it is jsut what people do. As I'm typing this I'm theoretically copyrighting it to me!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE