Mushroom ID Help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

drliamski

Sep 11, 2006
East London
So just picked some of these in the local woods (Ally Pally)

And not sure of their id.

4982384145_54492aca63_z.jpg

4982985228_28215dc137_z.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated as i wanna tuck into some lunch,
Liam

Last edited:

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
If unsure, I'd stick with the Dominos

:D

A (very stupid) acquaintance ate a 'mixed bag' she picked last week without being certain what they were, and she's in all sorts of trouble now, doc doesn't think it's anything that's going to really mess her up but she's not out of the woods yet.

So just picked some of these in the local woods (Ally Pally)

And not sure of their id.

4982384145_54492aca63_z.jpg

4982985228_28215dc137_z.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated as i wanna tuck into some lunch,
Liam

From my own findings and that of my very usefull Iphone app i can happily say they are field mushrooms and very tasty they are too, I pick them in their hundreds and would not hesitate to get them in the pan.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I wouldn't be quite confident to say they are Field Mushrooms for definite, especially as you got them in a wood, but unless it stained yellow on cuttinbg or bruising, I would say it is something in that Agaricus group, and so would be both edible and tasty.

Do check them all, though. It only takes one of something else in there to ruin a meal.

drliamski

Sep 11, 2006
East London
Thats what I thought, however they did turn yellow on bruising as you can see from the photo. Does this mean they are not field mushrooms but their poisonous doppelganger?

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Do not eat!!! If that is which I think it is "Yellow staining mushroom" its poisonous and will cause vomiting almost immediately.

I really wish people wouldn't just post up its fine eat it with out 100% checking facts first:togo: I wouldn't want that on my conscience.

Also if it smells a bit like ink or Carbolic acid then its Yellow staining.

Last edited:

drliamski

Sep 11, 2006
East London
Well does the field mushroom ever stain yellow? None of them did when cut just when really heavily bruised.
There was no carbolic smell, they smelt quite nice???

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Well does the field mushroom ever stain yellow? None of them did when cut just when really heavily bruised.
There was no carbolic smell, they smelt quite nice???

Doh! didn't see the smell bit! I've never had a Field mushroom bruise yellow before.

Also Field mushroom by its name is generally found in open spaces ie meadow, heathland.

Last edited:

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I had some fieldies in early autumn and they had some yellowing/browning on top but did not stain and had a pleasant smell. they were also delicious.
if in doubt try a spore print to be doubly sure.
they do indeed look like fieldies and if they don't smell of carbolic or stale urine (odd but true) i doubt they're stainers.
still i always check from at least 2 sources and i try my damnest to make sure what they are, if there is ANY doubt i don't bother with them.
the likelyhood is it won't be poisonous but the problem with shrooms is the ones that are poisonous do make you quite ill indeed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE