A Days Herping for Adders - Loadsa pics

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
After the emergence and mating season, this time of year is the busiest for us herpetologists as the young are being born or hatching. Adders are my bag and they give birth to live young, starting now and running for about three weeks.

It's been quite wet up here recently, so I haven't had much of a chance to do any surveying in the area. Today was the first time, and I will be going out about three to four times a week now till they all go back into hibernation.

Herping stuff at the ready (although, like a wally, I forgot my thermometer)...

DSC07629.jpg

I don't usually use the hook or bags unless there is an injured one, or I find idiots with sticks trying to catch them. Sometimes you see an old specimen that needs further ID or photographing, and if I find them under the tins, I like to move them out before putting the tins back down, just to prevent injury. But usually, it's not necessary to carry a hook. But like everything else, the day you really need it, is the day it's left at home.

Lowland heath... best place to find adders...

DSC07581.jpg

I'd only gone a few steps when I saw the first lizard. There were loads of them. The young were born about six weeks or so ago, and they were everywhere, darting about like loons. Damned fast though, so hard to take pics of....

DSC07595.jpg

A large female grass snake was the first snake of the day, but was gone as soon as I saw her. Same with a couple of male adders out sunning themselves. This area is usually devoid of males this time of year as it is female dominant and they come here to give birth. The males arrive soon after to settle down before hibernating nearby. The weather must be colder than usual for the males to arrive so early.

There was a male adder and Common lizard in this next pic, but by the time the camera had focussed, the adder was gone leaving the lizard...

DSC07588.jpg

No female adders were above the vegetation and out sunning themselves, which is good as they normally go into the roots of heather and mosses a week or so prior to giving birth and you don't see them out and about during this period. As there were no newly born adders about, that is what they must be doing. Another week and I should be able to find small neonate adders in the area.

Plenty of slow-worms about, I think I counted about twenty individuals in this one site...

DSC07614.jpg

DSC07584.jpg

Notice the slow-worm on the left in the piccy above. She is ready to drop at anytime now.

Found an old friend of mine further in. This young adder is last years young. I recorded him around the same time last year, a day or so after he was born. He had grown some, but was still as lethargic as he was back then...

DSC07622.jpg

DSC07623.jpg

He didn't even bother hissing at me, just looked at me as if he was mildly annoyed at me disturbing his kip. His darker colour and mildly misty eyes suggest he is getting ready to slough his skin any day now..

DSC07609.jpg

This was him last year, tiny little thing about the size of half a pencil.....

rgrw.jpg

Not a bad day, spent about an hour and a half over there and it gave me some idea of what is happening in the area. Loads of lizards about, I saw well over 100 of them. The next couple of weeks should get very busy over there with the adders and slow-worms giving birth. The juvenile grass snakes also tend to hand around that area from hatching by the stables just over the fields.

Saw one ginormous mushroom on the way back too...

DSC07645.jpg

DSC07646.jpg

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Wow! great pics, that Adder is stunning, i've never been lucky enough to see one for real, do you think i might have a better chance in the heaths around Aldershot?

Smat

Aug 10, 2010
East Sussex
Nice pictures.....just curious, how do you know it's one you identified last year? I didn't see any sort of tags, so are the markings that easily distinguisable between individuals?

Ace pictures. I have only seen adders a few times in the hill. Usually just the tail end as they disappear. The one and only time I saw one stationary I was mesmerised, by the time I got my brain into gear and I got my camera out of my bag it slithered away and all I got was a patch of heather!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Nice pictures.....just curious, how do you know it's one you identified last year? I didn't see any sort of tags, so are the markings that easily distinguisable between individuals?

You can ID them quite easily from the markings. New born adders I photograph on graph paper from above with details of the date, location etc. Like this...

before.jpg

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Fascinating Jonathan.

I've taken every opportunity to wander the Scottish hills all of my adult life. I see common lizards often and am amazed they can survive harsh winters with deep frost penetration in the high moors but can only say I've seen adders on half a dozen occasions, grass snakes even less, although I know for a fact they are there.

Clearly there are locations with a higher population of adders than others, but are these hot-spots more frequent or densely populated at more southerly latitudes?
I'd be somewhat disappointed in myself to discover I'd walked through an area with a similar population to the one in your photos and seen nothing.

Thanks again for sharing your photos.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Fascinating Jonathan.

I've taken every opportunity to wander the Scottish hills all of my adult life. I see common lizards often and am amazed they can survive harsh winters with deep frost penetration in the high moors but can only say I've seen adders on half a dozen occasions, grass snakes even less, although I know for a fact they are there.

Clearly there are locations with a higher population of adders than others, but are these hot-spots more frequent or densely populated at more southerly latitudes?
I'd be somewhat disappointed in myself to discover I'd walked through an area with a similar population to the one in your photos and seen nothing.

Thanks again for sharing your photos.

The locations here are not what they used to be. I was talking to the ranger who looks after the area and he looks for adders all the time in that very same area, he has not seen one in three years, although, he does see the lizards. As a general rule of thumb, if you have L.vivipara, you also have adders. Down south is the place for larger populations. I once found over 70 individuals in about three hours in a heathland in Dorset. I wish that was so here.

It's quite difficult to get your 'eye in' with adders. I've been looking for them for nearly 25 years now. Some fellow herpetologists I know can't find them for love nor money, but can find grass snakes quite easily. My method is not to find the snakes, but find the sort of places that an adder loves to bask in. Once you can identify those, the adders are generally there. You also get to know individuals, who can be found at the same spots, year on year, and different spots at different times of year. A good exampe is that young individual who I found in exactly that same spot, exactly this time last year. I'm willing to bet that two young three year old females will be found there in about a months time too.

mattweasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2010
hertfordshire england
Thanks for sharing some great pics and some very interesting info. I have loads of heathland near me and I have seen a grass snake and a slow worm, but it was more of a happy accident.
Do you have any tips on where to look for lizards or snakes or is it just a matter of looking in heathland and getting your eye in?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
On south banks in sun traps is the best places to find adders. Usually at the base of vegetation so that they can get under cover quickly. Lizards can be found all over the place, but more so around those same areas that adders like.

mattweasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2010
hertfordshire england
On south banks in sun traps is the best places to find adders. Usually at the base of vegetation so that they can get under cover quickly. Lizards can be found all over the place, but more so around those same areas that adders like.

Thanks for the tip. If I can get away from the house this weekend, I'll be off looking for lizards and snakes. I have tried, without much luck, before, but I think I'll just take my time and be a bit more patient.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Thanks for the tip. If I can get away from the house this weekend, I'll be off looking for lizards and snakes. I have tried, without much luck, before, but I think I'll just take my time and be a bit more patient.

Take some pictures of the area and the terrain. If you have no luck I'll mark out he best looking and most likely places. You'll be doing me a favour and it all amounts to data I can use.

mattweasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2010
hertfordshire england
Take some pictures of the area and the terrain. If you have no luck I'll mark out he best looking and most likely places. You'll be doing me a favour and it all amounts to data I can use.

O.K I'll see what I can do. I'm not much good with photo's and computers, but I'll get some help. (Either my wife or 8 year old son may help me out)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE