Bear Grylls New Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
http://www.wayland.me.uk/assets/images/rofl.gif

Gerber.... Another manufacturer I will now avoid like the plague. A bit like Craghoppers.

Gods, I hate that pratt.
I will second that!

I have the Action Man Scar...a bit hidden in the laughterlines these days....but NO blue Y fronts - my Action Men (yup - had more than one!) went commando...but had no naughty bits to hide either....... with me it is an age thing....

That Knife looks like a toy gun in a newsagents - with the orange bits to show it is not a real weapon!
Kinda apt?

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
Still have at least one Action man......no pants!!!! I have him in some dodgy East German camo and some early 80's SAS tactical gear.......and a WW2 motorcycle!!!!!!

On the other hand....Why Bear???? Why?????? Daft knife. Might do as a backup in the event of a catastrophic failure of ALL your other blades I suppose.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
*removes Mod hat*

I think it's perfect.
It's designed for a role, and it fits that role wonderfully.
It's for people who watch BG on TV, and will keep it in a drawer most of the time.
At the end of the day, it's a blade with a reasonable steel, in a sheath with a ferro rod and a diamond stone on it.
All some people see is the name, and react purely from that.
The same people who will decry others for placing so much emphasis on brand names.
I'm tempted to buy one and actually test it out.
Just looking at pictures on the internet is no way to tell if a knife is any good.
You need to use it.
this is just coming down to pure snobbery here.
I look on the forum sometimes, and see an almost Pavlovian response to BG's antics.
Time for people to grow up a little I think.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Ah but as the villan you'll all ways have a bevey of top heavys kicking about in quazi futureistic clothing, waiting for the bond type to save them. as long as you shoot him on site before giving away your plans, you'll be quids in!

I don't agree Graham_s, remove the bg moniker and it's still a horrible looking knife, but as you say nothing can really be gained from just looking at a picture other than weather you feel you could bear to have the world point and laugh at your silly action knife.

Last edited:

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Yes, well................

Sadly, anything branded with that idiots name, is destined for the fail bin, which is a pity, because some of it is not too badly designed ( though not I feel, this knife!)

To be fair, the idea of a few "hi vis" bits, is a sound practical idea but the rest is typical "U.S.Tactical" b.s.

eeeh what a shame:rolleyes:

Never mind, one day, He'll wake up and realise what a clown he's allowed other, cleverer people, to make of him:sadwavey:

R.B.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
rofl.gif

Gerber.... Another manufacturer I will now avoid like the plague. A bit like Craghoppers.

Gods, I hate that pratt.

(Sorry, that should read "I hate that son of a corrupt politician.")

Ill 3rd that, Head Scout? I think that was a bloody stupid selection if you ask me, apparently he's a nice guy but He does what the Research people tell him to do,Fact, which is sensationalism not survivalist and a bad example to show any Scout! Oh yeah knife, its pants any one looking to buy a knife purely as a survival aid would do better than to buy that, ok if you was given it but id not buy it.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Is it actually any worse looking than this?

Picture006-vi.jpg

Or any worse looking or less practical than.

31%2BQmFIvP9L._SS400_.jpg

Folk get quite nostalgic about the old 'rambo style survival knife' these days...IIRC

It's just a knife :rolleyes:... I don't think it's meant to appeal to Bushcrafters is it. For not that much cash (in bushcraft knife terms) you get a: knife, sheath, firesteel, diamond sharpener, suvival instructions and what looks like a whistle built into the lanyard...

I don't like the serrations on the blade but hey that's me...

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
He's raised the profile of Scouting, and caused more adults to volunteer to help.
I think it was an excellent idea.
There are thousands of kids on waiting lists for Scout groups because of a lack of adult helpers.
As for the Knife, as with any tool, until you have actually used it, how can anyone really know how good it is?
I've just watched a guy on youtube doing a test on a Spyderco Manix2, a well regarded knife, thought by many to be one of the strongest production folding knives.
It failed miserably, you could hear the disappointment in the testers voice.
Proof, if any was needed, that you need to handle a knife to really know what it can do.

rcs

Forager
Jul 24, 2008
Pill
Mayhem, have a look at yourselves for a minute, are you perfect? have you never made a mistake?. Bear ain't a saint but hes done more to raise the profile of the Scouts than anyone else has in my lifetime, and thats not a bad thing at all. And whilst his methods are a little crazy he certainly makes entertaining TV. The knife is horrid though, that much is undeniable.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Is it actually any worse looking than this?

Picture006-vi.jpg

Or any worse looking or less practical than.

31%2BQmFIvP9L._SS400_.jpg

Folk get quite nostalgic about the old 'rambo style survival knife' these days...IIRC

It's just a knife :rolleyes:... I don't think it's meant to appeal to Bushcrafters is it. For not that much cash (in bushcraft knife terms) you get a: knife, sheath, firesteel, diamond sharpener, suvival instructions and what looks like a whistle built into the lanyard...

I don't like the serrations on the blade but hey that's me...

Not realy I guess - except for the Neon scribbles, the "BG" logo on the handle, the guard shape .... the only bit I personally like of the new BG knife is the bit in front of the serrations on the blade..... but then it is a long time since I was conned by the "Cult of the Personality" school of marketing....

At least the two you show are not blatently linked to their sponsers to make a quick buck from the gullible...... (I think RM missed a trick there...or was he too embarressed by the knife to shout "ME!" about it? :D

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
They quote it as "High carbon Stainless", But I suspect it's 12C27 Stainless
Gerber use it in a few of their similar blades.
Quite a good steel as far as I (and google) can see.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE