uses for pine cones?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mang

Settler
In an idle moment on the bushcraft base at Gilwell 24 I had a go at making a brew with cones to see how many it needed...18 and boiling water in about four minutes.
DSCN4551.jpg

This is a shot of my cone powered Kelly kettle
20081022_3.jpg

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I use them, I fed myself for a long weekend at a meet using a woodland edge stove fuelled with nothing but pine cones.
easy to gather, no chopping or splitting, and they burn hot.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I have some hanging up at home as weather indicators. When humidity rises they close up to protect the seeds from moisture, when humidity drops they open out again.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
cheers guys some great suggestions, I will go collect myself a few (thousand!) and get them drying out ready for use. I like the idea of the wax and wick especially.

M

Mentalpatient

I use them to scare the fat pigeons away from our bird feeder... they snapped one of the branches off last year and the bird seed went everywhere!

other than that they can be used as a fat feeder (instead of peanut butter, use lard and mealworms with grain)

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I know a few people in our beekeeping association that use them as fuel in their smokers.
I like the idea of dipping them in wax for fire lighters though.

I grew up in a Africa where Crimbo decorations weren't available, so people dried them out and sprayed them silver or gold and hung them by wire in the tree. Sometimes even glitter was used! Spruce doesn't grow out there, so I thought for the first 22 years of my life Leylandii or Cypress were Christmas trees. Hey ho. (Or is it ho ho) ho........hc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE