Opening wine bottles in the field

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I wonder if saberage can be successfully transferred to macheteage, leukuage or billhookage?

Yes it can. I've opened a couple bottles of cava with the back of my bushy. Last time I cut myself though, so not doing it with anything that small again.

I bought a french Joddler for opening my bottles....small t bar handle with two slim pieces of metal just less than a corks width apart...gently slide them down the side of the cork level with the handle and rock it back and forth and the cork just pops out....small enough to fit in your wallet.

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
That's the best post I've seen for ages, Genius! Thanks for posting.

BTW, I don't know if anyone has already said this, but sabreage (SP?) only works with sparkiling wine. The force of the gas sprays any micro splinters clear of the neck. It looks cool but it's actually easy, you can use the back of a dinner knife. I hate to be nanny, but you should be very careful if you are doing this. I have a mate who sliced his forehead open when he bend down at a table full of decapitated champagne bottles. He came close to getting it in the eye. Sorry to be boring guys.

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
So none of you are into wine bottles with screw tops then lol. Solves the problem altogether, and the wine tastes exactly the same apparently......

Makes no difference to me.....I'm tee total lol

A bit off tangent, but do any of you slice bottles in half to make tumblers from them?

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Sadly I don't think the sabre method works with non-sparkling wine (although brings a definite touch of class to Buckfast :) ).

I have seen ordinary (ie corks) bottles opened by banging the bottom into a nearby tree but (a) I don't think the tree would respond well and (b) you really don't want to open a decent bottle of wine that way.

Anyway, I can't believe you lot would forget a corkscrew, or at least a multi tool with one on :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE