My new Axe on a budget.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
was going to cut mine off but after Robin pointed tha above out a while ago i left it and jsut cleaned it up as i did want a carving axe ;)

Argos2.jpg

Mine looks like yours now I have got rid of the dreadfull black paint...I am going to stain the handle walnut and oil it and the blade will be lovingly sharpened to a fine cutting edge....more pics soon.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Is it still for sale? Not seen it in catalogue. As requested above have you got cat number still? So NEED one!

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
These were on clearance for £2.99 last year and snapped up like jerky at a bushcraft convention. I do not believe that they have been re-listed this season.

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
out of interest how do they stand up to being used.....

ive had a couple of cheap axes that i have broken on the first use (dispite first making sure the edge was up to the job) almost inevitabley by the handle comming off,

it seems most cheap axes these days have handles held on by some sort of resin glue that IMHO is useless

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
dasy2K1

I am slightly puzzled at how you manage to get the 'handle' to fall off your axes!

Which end do you hold your axe when striking something :)

Well my axe is now finished and I will post a pic later....I have made a leather sheath, the blade is nicely sharp, the handle stained walnut and hand oiled....four hours with a metal file, sharpening stones and my fingers nearly dropped off, but its done and its mine...I am going to stipple the blade later for an interesting effect.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
The heads are resin fix. I have used and abused mine a lot and it is still sound. Becuase it is cheap it gets a much harder life than my "best" axes for instance if I know there is a possibility of there being nails in a tree then I use the argos not the gransfors. If the worst comes to the worst at some stage down the line I will make a new handle for it, I view axe handles as working things that do need replacing over time the head will last a lifetime and is good steel well tempered.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
These have been talked about a lot on other threads about them, Dave Budd rates these axes as good as the Gransfors axe.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
These have been talked about a lot on other threads about them, Dave Budd rates these axes as good as the Gransfors axe.

I suspect Dave would point out that whilst steel heat treat and general shape of head are all good the handle and fixing is not the most aesthetically pleasing and the grind when new is truly appalling, needs 5 minutes on a big belt linisher with someone who knows what they are doing or a couple of hours with files. The good thing about a gransfors is it comes sharp and ready to use and with a sheath. Ethically I like to support a nice scale European business too, lord knows where and under what conditions these axes are made.

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
I appreciate that it must be a cool carving axe, but that was still a great mod. Looks like a tomahawk. I got one but it was the last one in stock in my city, reserved it online. The logical thing for argos to do now would be to restock a good seller, but British retail doesn't seem to work that way.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I suspect Dave would point out that whilst steel heat treat and general shape of head are all good the handle and fixing is not the most aesthetically pleasing and the grind when new is truly appalling, needs 5 minutes on a big belt linisher with someone who knows what they are doing or a couple of hours with files. The good thing about a gransfors is it comes sharp and ready to use and with a sheath. Ethically I like to support a nice scale European business too, lord knows where and under what conditions these axes are made.

Made in Germany actually which is in Europe, have you tried one of these axes? Took me ages to get an edge but I only used a 'Blade-Tech' sharper, its lethal now :) The supplied sheath is crap though as I don't often use an axe other than to split this Argos one is perfect for my needs.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Made in Germany actually which is in Europe,
That's interesting where did you hear that? or did you just assume it because Argos are a German based retailer?

have you tried one of these axes?
I have given them a pretty good trial and written about my experiences, in fact if you search back threads on Argos axe I suspect me plugging them has helped their popularity. This thread was May last year http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41525&highlight=argos+axe
As I have said plenty of times before they are good steel well tempered but don't bother buying unless you are prepared to remove a fair bit of metal to get it working.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Big sticker on mine with the name of the German company, can't remember who as I threw the sticker away, none on any of yours?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE