Turboflame Lighter (Lakeland Bushcraft)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Buy an Imco - check them out on the web. big bonus is that the lighter wick/tank can be pulled out of the lighter as a sort of candle to light your stove without barbequeing your fingers- perfik! And only about £3.50 or so.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Can't speak for other lighters on that page, but I bought a Turboflame Military and I wouldn't buy another. I've reverted to cheapos.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Turboflame military is a waste of space, same as the silva on that page. Not tried the Primus one but if it's the same build type as the Turbo then it's going to be naff aswell.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
There is a paralell thread discussing how it can be very hard to get these things to work after you've refilled them. I'm sick of mine and won't buy another. My much older Blueflame (c.1997) is great. The Turboflame models just seem to be no good.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
As a smoker I like to know my lighter is going to be reliable, that's why I choose a £1 Clipper or two. If I can remember to fill it up I've also got a Zippo which never lets me down.
I've heard too many stories about the turboflames not working after a while so I've never invested, I'm sure there must be one good one among the bunch ?

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I've two which I've had since 15-Sep-08 (ebay purchase date) Refilled both of them, one once and one twice with the maplins gas as per the instructions a while ago and they've never let me down ever. I guess must have the only two good ones ever made (insert smug smiley!) ;)

I just dug them out my firekit and my carry kit and tried them. I didn't testthem before making this video just out the bag, ran the video and tried them (phew!!) I last used the tatty one last week on Loch Ard but I don't know the last time I used the one that lives in my firekit. tada, some rare footage of these guys working...

[video=youtube;TIGi3VYidzc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIGi3VYidzc[/video]

I'd buy them again,

Cheers,

Alan

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm with Chainsaw. Mine is a great bit of kit. No problems refilling it or using it afterwards. I usually use a firesteel for lighting, but the Turboflame is always in the fire kit if I need it.

If it ever dies, I'll get another.

Echo

May 27, 2010
Manchester
Just to let you know I too had alot of trouble with the Turboflame Military lighter, personally I'd avoid that make of lighter I had 2 replacements and both failed to work properly/at all.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Fire lighting and rope sealing yes, but not so much for smoking - too many lights per day I think seems to be the killer.

Well I'd settle for two or three. My Turboflame simply will not light when it's cold. By which I mean when it's outdoors and I haven't had it stuck under my armpit for an hour before attempting to light it. When I bought it I also bought a small Victorinox belt pouch for it. The idea being of course, to have it handy when I'm camping. Well at the Spitewinter camp, first thing in the morning in JUNE it wouldn't light straight off my belt. After half a dozen attempts it would partly light (the flame wouldn't seem to attach to the burner) and then blow itself out. It was more or less at that point that I finally gave up with the over-engineered piece of junk. You're right about being good for sealing ropes, I've done a few with it and it is good for the job. In the south of France in May. I wouldn't even consider trying it in England in January. When you can get it to light it's good for e.g. alcohol stoves that can benefit from having some metal heated so as to evaporate the alcohol faster, Generally it's good when you need a flame that you can point in a direction (even downwards). But the danged thing really ought to light a lot better than it does.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Yes I will be at the North Wood meet, I'll bring one along, also a turboflame as well so you can compare them and a zippo to and a few others so you can compare lighters and stuff, I know how much you like FIRE :)
and your not the only one:)

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
My Silva lighter's been working for a few years now, although the little element inside that helps make it wind resistant got damaged - my fault. I've refilled it numerous times with from a cheap can of Ronson butane and not taken any special care of it. Seems a lot of you have had problems with yours and I certainly wouldn't recommend it for lighting cigarettes, it's not designed for that - the flame is too powerful and hot - you need something like a Zippo if you're a smoker.

I use mine for lighting fires and sealing rope. I've used it outside in hot weather, cold weather and the rain without any problems. Even so I think that having a Zippo (or cheap disposable) as backup is a good idea if the extra weight isn't an issue. But if you're a non smoker, like me, then you need to make sure the Zippo hasn't dried out since its last use before you take it out with you. Also you need to make sure you don't get the flint wet while you're striking it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE