calling army rucksack experts (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Is it possible to completely remove the frame?

Cheers, Michael.

do you mean the GS patrol sack shown above? if so yes
it was designed that way, so 1 frame can serve several functions i.e.:
frame plus GS patrol sack
frame plus SAS/Para Bergen
frame plus Radio.
perhaps the frame on it's own to carry munitions, water, medical kit etc etc.
I've also heard them being used as a sort of emergency stretcher (you strap a wounded soldier to it in a seated position, I think you'd end up being a casualty after carrying that though!) Life and death situations only!:eek:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
For Rappleby2000,

piccyoo006.jpg

sorry for a bit of thread hi jack, but i supposed it could be said this eliminates the nylon 58 option.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi just to clarify as shown on the E-bay result:

moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png
Swiss military ruck sack/backpack. These are surplus (used), but in excellent condition. They are made to withstand heavy use. Each pack is made of rubberized vinyl with nylon shoulder straps and tie downs.
It has a large buckle-down rain flap and multiple water-resistant interior flaps that protect the contents from rainy weather, an accidental dunk in a river, or a hike in the snow.
The pack has an expandable interior that can go from 20" to 32" in tall, with drawstring closures.
You can take as much or as little gear as you want, adjusting the size to fit.
It has two external side pockets for quick access to smaller items, multiple tie-on points and compression straps, and an overlay of webbing that could easily hold a blanket or sleeping bag on the outside.

You can take as much or as little gear as you want
:lmao:always a good selling point!:lmao:

Les Marshall

Life Member
Jan 21, 2004
Chichester West Sussex
As an an ex blanket stacker, if the pack was of german post war army issue, it would have a NATO reference number on a label somewhere on the pack. The number would look something like this:8564-99-9736663 (this is for the british issue milbank bag). I have to agree that it looks something very close to the 58 pattern British webbing pack.if the pack was issued by the Swiss military, it would indeed have the three crown stamped on it, or in blue ink some where on it, there would would also be the Swiss equivelent of the NATO number on it. My gut instinct tells me that it is a reproduction, The mixture of metal and plastic fastenings steers me in that direction, I hope I'm wrong. Still, it looks a good bit of kit.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2010
australia
ah i new there was something i forget! haha

i says..

grosse lieferant/jahrzahl
juriens 95
lebrassus

is this french? the o in grosse has two dots on top

pete

grosse lieferant/jahrzahl ruffly translates to year supplier number and i presume juriens 95 is the date hop it helps.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Here is the only photo I've ever come across of the Nylon 58" webbing!
72_webbing.jpg

RAPPLEBY,

Sorry to hijack the post! Was this your post from ARRSE? That photo's a right chronological jumble- SLR pre 88 for Regulars, Mk1 Kevlar post 85, shirt hairy pre 87/88 and those look like 78 pattern combats! So if it is late in the 80s then 90 pattern PLCE must have been either in development or this was quickly scrapped for 90 PLCE! I recall speaking with some TA Regiment lads in 86 who appeared to be wearing what I now know was PLCE!

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
The germans were trialling a system similar to this in about 1977 or thereabouts, I remember seeing this type of system then, as we were operating together at the same time on a long 6 week exercise. While all our kit was getting soaked (it rained almost continously) there's were pretty dry, but as for comfort I'm not sure.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE