Dark Age Meet 3

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
been there, done that Paul :-(
trisha, bargain hunt , cash in the attic ... ah yes the woeful days of unemployment are all
flooding back!

bigandy

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
horwich lancashire
Just been getting excited about this checked out ostumes and designed my own. then looke at the date and alas i am already away this weekend. sounds good will look out for the next one.

andywinkk

Nov 12, 2007
wigan
www.garmentsdirectltd.co.uk
i would like to come please if thats ok, i would like to bring a friend also if thats ok, is there any chance that there maybe a few summer costumes for me to borrow, don't fancy wearing wool in this weather it could get a bit smelly, it will be good to see you all as iv'e not been able to do owt for a while with my redundancy ect ect,

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Andy if the weather is anything like last weekend then wool will be fine - really!!!

cheers
Nick

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Gary what time is fine for us to arrive ? and is there anything that we could bring in that would be useful ?

cheers,
Mary

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Grubenhouse.jpg

Date: 4th to 6th June 2010 Friday PM to Sunday PM.

Facilities available: 8 Viking style buildings (Mixed wattle and daub, straw thatched and shingled.) most sleep two people or small family.

1 Viking style longhouse, 1 double bed and benches for 4 or so others.

Overspill areas: 1 brick building and Roman Fort ( Shed like buildings. )

Toilet block.

We must be in costume during the day when the site is open and it would be nice to keep this up in the evening when on our own.

The expectation is that we will not be perfectly kitted out, but that we are making an effort not to look completely wrong.

There is some cookware available, but we need to decide whether we are cooking communally or separately. If separately then modern cookware may be used out of hours. There is also a cafeteria available during the day.

We need inconspicuous foot ware. (Brown or black boots or shoes, moccasins, desert boots or the like.) Plain trousers, (Made from blankets, wool linen or something that looks similar. ) leather belts.

For some idea of the type of look you are aiming for have a look on my site here.

http://www.lore-and-saga.co.uk/html/gallery.html

This is a target, not what we expect on a first turnout.

Glasses are allowable on health and safety grounds but watches, smoking, mobile phones are not while we are open to the public.

We are not expecting too much when talking to the public. It is quite acceptable to say who we are and that this is the first time we have ever done this sort of thing. The public will be interested enough in the fact that we are living on site without us "pretending" to be Vikings or experts. If anyone really needs information you can send them to me or Debbie.

The buildings will be apportioned to get the best fit of the people attending where possible. Family groups will be accommodated first and then the rest will be fitted as suitably as possible.

Most buildings have a fireplace but the buildings can become smokey if the fire is not well managed.

You will need your own sleeping equipment and if this is modern, it needs to be out of sight during the day, as must other modern equipment. That can mean simple hidden under blankets, in a sack or removed to your vehicle.

It is very important that we leave the buildings in the condition that we find them. In some cases this may include the layout too.

I know this might sound very rule bound but the weekend should be fairly relaxed if we are sensible.

The rules are there because the site has a reputation to maintain and the world is full of critics who love to point a finger.

For anyone not aware of the location Murton Park is the place, it's signposted from the ring road as "The Yorkshire Museum of Farming" and is just off the Bridlington Road from York.

We will be there from Friday lunchtime to meet and greet, if you could give me any idea of arrival times that would be helpful. Can people also confirm if they are coming asap. so I can start to allocate buildings.

Vehicles can only be moved around on site out of opening hours so at other times we'll have to use trolleys or wheelbarrows to cart stuff into the village.

During open hours we can use the main building and it's facilities, out of hours we have a key to a toilet / shower block.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks Gary, Denise and I expect to be there between one and two pm.
We have kit, dark wool blankets to hide modern kit and lilnen bags for our foodstuffs.
I've just collected two fleece so we have that to work on with folks.
I've got a basket of spindles, an inkle loom, tablets and naturally dyed wools.
I think Denise wants to work on a rawhide deerskin she's had sitting salted for ages.

Firewood ? We'll bring our own but probably charcoal for after hours and first llight of the fire in the morning for breakfast. I've got candles but I've also got little bowls for oil wicks.

Can't think of anythng else ? Anything I've missed ?

cheers,
Mary

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah they are kind of chokey aren't they ? I've bagged up lumpwood charcoal and it's hidden inside a hessian sack.
The fire crackle logs might be fine in the longhouse though :)

cheers,
Mary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE