Blackcurrant Vodka

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
We've got loads of bottles of vodka in our house at the minute, not too sure where they've all come from but I'm going to put one to good use.

Can I, empty out half of one bottle, tip whole fresh blackcurrants in until the vodka reaches the bottom of the neck, top the neck up with sugar and then leave it ?

Is that all that's necessary ? Do I need to boil or soften the fruit first ?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Cheers Martin, I thought it was something along those lines.

So that's four months and a week of testing my will power, hmmm not sure about that :D

What about the fruit come drinky time ? Do you put it through a sieve or just leave it in there ?

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Thats some will power Martin !. I'm afraid mine does'nt last that long. I'm going to try it with strawbs this year.

Rich, just scoff the fruit, with some double cream.

Rob

sensi5446

Forager
Jun 15, 2009
Manchester
Thanks for the idea shewie, had a few bottles of vodka under the sink just need some empty ones now :)

will this work well with shop bought fruit? And how much fruit to vodka?
Cheers
sensi

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Thanks for the idea shewie, had a few bottles of vodka under the sink just need some empty ones now :)

will this work well with shop bought fruit? And how much fruit to vodka?
Cheers
sensi

Yep, indeed it will.

I add just under 1/3 of a bottle of fruit to 3-4 Tablespoons of sugar then top up with alcohol

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
Save the fruit, add melted chocolate and nuts n raisons (optional). Put in fridge, break up into bite size pieces, serve with blackcurrant vodka yum.....

Works with Sloe Gin too.......

PREPER................ :)

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Right that's me done :)

Just got to write a label for it now.

Is room temp okay or shall I stick it down the cellar ?

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Rich, do you grow your own blackcurrants? Been checking out some local wild bushes but they're not ready yet. Just wondering if i need to be extra vigilant...
Cheers

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Rich, do you grow your own blackcurrants? Been checking out some local wild bushes but they're not ready yet. Just wondering if i need to be extra vigilant...
Cheers

Yeah we've got a blackcurrant and a redcurrant bush, they did really well last year so we got a bumper crop. I found some hiding in the freezer yesterday when we were defrosting it.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have heard tell that its a good way of clearing the freezer of the remains of last years harvest as the freezing bursts all the cell membranes and lets the flavour into the spirits.

I wouldn't know myself, but my kitchen window view seems full of strange jars :lmao:

4633001006_8f8390fe4c_o.jpg

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Right that's me done :)

Just got to write a label for it now.

Is room temp okay or shall I stick it down the cellar ?

I put mine in a bedroom cupboard which was cooler than the room; a cellar should be fine.

I have heard tell that its a good way of clearing the freezer of the remains of last years harvest as the freezing bursts all the cell membranes and lets the flavour into the spirits.

I wouldn't know myself, but my kitchen window view seems full of strange jars :lmao:

That's how I "force" my sloe berries for gin - If I wait for the first frost, the berries are all gone around my way.

sensi5446

Forager
Jun 15, 2009
Manchester
Ok just got back for shopping and I have some blueberries and cherries, will cherries work the same way?? hope so as I'm off to try it :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
All will work. Its a good idea to freeze / burst / pierce the more leathery types of fruit skins. No need with soft fruit like raspberries and blackberries

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
hey british red, what fruit is in those jars at the bottom of your pic? i can't quite work it out, probably something obvious though and im just being a bit dim ;)

TJ

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE