Fox Cold Case --GRAPHIC WARNING!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
It's my understanding that the owner of the forum wants it to be "family friendly".

This thread appears to me to be little more than a celebration of violence.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Relocating it to the "Fair Game" section should cover any site owner requirement but you won't find info on contact sports listed their.

Cheers

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Moving this to "Fair Game" sounds good, and then for those who have maybe not read this, should:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111
:dunno:

There's a heck of a lot more to do with tracking than looking at tracks in dirt and I think this thread is quite valid. If there's a problem with The Outlaw Josey Wales appearing here, can't say that bothers me much. That story is part of my heritage, good, bad, or indifferent, and BR made a funny.

I for one do not walk through the countryside wearing rose tinted glasses.
The circle of life must and will be completed.
Any walk or foray into the countryside will result in the discovery of a dead animal and if you have not seen any when you are out there, then you are walking with your eyes closed..

Why should a dead fox not be family friendly? I was always fascinated by dead animals when I was a kid, it was a chance to have a proper look at them.

I am constantly amazed by wishy washy liberals that try to insulate everyone from the truth of life, and that is death, no matter how brutal or humane... its a factor.

How can we pretend that animals are not killed for sport, crop protection and food, or by other animals including man, and how can we have a Bush-craft forum that does not
acknowledge that fact?

It's ridiculous to suggest that we can, and Tony does not run the forum in that way

Do we turn up at a moot and not cook deer because their are families around?

Bushcraft is bound to rub shoulders with the above subjects, as it operates in the same arena.

Any forum that pretended that animal death does not occur would be a farce, and I am glad to see that this is not the policy here. Those of us that are more broad minded may look at the subject as a chance to learn.

If you are offended by dead animals then I suggest that

You stay well away from the countryside.

2. reconsider whether you should be logging on to countryside related forums

3. reattach yourself to life, the country and the circle of life, no matter how brutal,because the underlying fact is that what you are seeing is the truth, and that should never be denied to our families.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
There are no doubt lots of site members who're totally against both this and what may be found in BCUK's "top shelf" forum as such is simply viewed as wildlife cruelty and/or exploitation. So upon reflection there is no right place for this thread but just one that people with such sensitivities should perhaps avoid.

Cheers

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It's my understanding that the owner of the forum wants it to be "family friendly".

This thread appears to me to be little more than a celebration of violence.
The point of this thread, I suspect, is a continuation of the name "Cold Case" (which I started). It helps (well it helps me at least) to understand the predators in an environment and what killed a given creature. This inevitably means understanding the difference between death from disease, animal predation or human intervention. Indeed one of the "Cold Case" examples I put up was probably a combination of factors.

I have received fascinating information on many subjects that, on the face of it, are not particularly pleasant. The location, shape, texture and composition of fecal matter for example provides great insight into what animals may be present, but unseen, their diet and health.

Bodies of animals and birds - either skeletal or more recent, provide insights both into predator presence, food availability, human intervention and many other factors that are at play in the world around us.

Thats a serious answer to what I take as a serious question.

Red

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... a serious answer to what I take as a serious question.

Yes, it was a serious question. Thank you for that reply. Quickly skimming other replies it seems to me that some respondents have missed the point of the question completely.

As of this afternoon I'll be on my travels for almost two weeks, so I don't immediately have time to put more into this thread. Let's just say for now that the introduction to it of spaghetti westerns and all the trappings that go with them are more of an issue for me than the fact that I'm a carnivore, or that my favourite fox ate the squirrel that I shot this morning.

Ged.

Jericho

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2010
N.Wales
Let's just say for now that the introduction to it of spaghetti westerns and all the trappings that go with them are more of an issue for me than the fact that I'm a carnivore

The death of anything's a grizzly subject.
It's just gallows humour, init! :shrug

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yes, it was a serious question. Thank you for that reply. Quickly skimming other replies it seems to me that some respondents have missed the point of the question completely.

As of this afternoon I'll be on my travels for almost two weeks, so I don't immediately have time to put more into this thread. Let's just say for now that the introduction to it of spaghetti westerns and all the trappings that go with them are more of an issue for me than the fact that I'm a carnivore, or that my favourite fox ate the squirrel that I shot this morning.

Ged.
I think the "Clint reference" was caused by my use of the reference "buzzards got to eat, same as worms" (Clint said it first). Whilst an "hat tip" to Clint is tongue in cheek, leaving meat on the surface does in fact allow other scavengers (Kites and the aformentioned buzzards) to share in the by product of necessary pest control. A visit to Gigrin farm in Wales (http://www.gigrin.co.uk/ ) shows the ecological value in permitting meat / carcas to be accessed by raptors and other Apex predators (as well as some superb photo opportunities that I'm happy to share).

Sorry if the subsequent discussion of Clints hardware distressed - I don't think it was in any way "unfriendly" to families though. Indeed I have taken great enjoyment in shooting such handguns (which are UK legal by the way) with my wife and indeed by appropriately trained and supervised youngsters. Indeed often I find that a real appreciation of history as well as the dispelling of many childhood myths can come from handling these fascinating historical artefacts.

Red

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I read through most of this earlier and i don't have a problem with it, it's quite interesting what people think happened, especially when they're a lot more knowledgeable than I am. I'm not sure that it should be in fair game, I can't see me eating it and yet that's where pictures of this sort are generally contained. I can see the validity of it being in the tracking forum as it is a form of tracking.......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE